Adding historical news items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:53

Adding historical news items

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Sep-2011 00:00

We're building a new site and need to add historical news items that appear on our current site.  I'm having problems getting the correct dates to be used.  It seems everything is dated on the date it's added to the system.  I need to be able to specify a date for news items that is used for the URL, sorting, and display.  I tired making the CreateDate and PublishDate fields visible, but manually editing them did not solve the problem.

Appreciate the help.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Sep-2011 00:00

Hey Josh,

This bug has been around since the release of 4.0. You can find it in PITS (although things aren't easy to find there) and vote on it. It has quite a few votes compared to other issues but still isn't scheduled for fixing. I'm not sure what the hold up is and why Telerik feels this isn't a serious bug, especially when they want to see people moving their sites form the cheap 3.7 to the expensive 4.0 SF. 

The only work around right now is to create a custom field and use that. It means that you have to set this date separately and modify all templates used to display news. Then of course should they ever fix it and you wanted to do it the right way you'd have to go back and edit all news items to have the proper published date.

I know it doesn't help but hopefully it prevents you from wasting too much time on it.

Here's a related post for your reference: http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/bugs-issues/4-1-still-can-t-set-published-date-for-news-items.aspx

Regards,
Phill

I had to open up the DB tables directly and painstakingly modify 200 document upload\create dates (still makes me cry thinking about it)

Should be like an "advanced" area somewhere to denote these fields, or at the very very least perhaps an "Action" on the item once inserted.

Wow.  That stinks.

Thanks guys.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi,

I want to let you know that we have worked on resolving this issue for the Sitefinity 4.2 SP1 release. From SP1 on you will be able to backdate the news items.

At any rate it is not recommended that you touch the Database directly. We have a sample on how you can achieve this through API.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

When can we expect the release of the SP?

Hello Josh,

The release is scheduled for next week.

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed