Localization of images (4.2.1650)

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 23:17

Localization of images (4.2.1650)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Sep-2011 00:00

All,

I'm trying to understand how the localization of images works. When I add an image to the gallery I want to add two different versions; one for EN and one for SV.
I can create two different version in terms of texts, but the image itself seems to be just _one_ version. I don't want to add two separate images ending up with two entries in the gallery.

How do I go about to sort this out?

I hope you understand what I mean. My request is similar to this post:
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/image-gallery-and-localization.aspx

This is true to me: "I have an image gallery and when I change language selector, I need to change the image also(language wise)". However, I don't want to do this programatically.

I can't get this to work.

Does anybody have any idea or tips/hints?

Thanks in advance,
Fredrik

PS Localization of pages and templates works just fine...

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Sep-2011 00:00

If Telerik responds to this. The same would be true for documents. Have not checked if that works.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Fredrik,

Your findings are correct - we are not localizing binary data for the time being. 
We would recommend you using separate library/album for the different languages. 

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Georgi

Are these feature request on PITS? (Both images and documents)

If not can you open them.

Any chance we see such a feature this year?

Markus

Georgi,

I think this is a major design flaw... As Markus says, do we need to add it to PITS? I really can't see that my client will accept to maintain separate libraries for multilingual documents, pictures and videos.

What you really want to do is add media items to your page and the link should be "translated" to point to the correct version of the media item according the current selected language. I think most of your customers would agree.

Any thoughts around the possibilities in changing the design?

Thanks,
Fredrik

To me it was simply a job not finished.

What's the use of beeing able to translate the Name to 10 different languages but you can link only to one file.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Markus Berchtold and Fredrik Rodin,

For the moment we do not plan to support different binary data for the different image and document items. The only solution for the moment is to use a different library for the different languages and adjust the image or document widget in a way that it would look in the right folder depending on the language.

But as a final summation - for now we do not plan to implement separate binary data for a single item depending on the language.

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Telerik team,

in my opinion localization of documents, videos and images without different binary data for the different languages is absolutely useless in most cases (think about PDF-Downloads, e.g. Product descriptions, company informations....).

I think its a MUST and just another lack in Sintefinity.
Hence I need to implement another custom module for a CMS standard use case.

Regards
Udo

I totally agree with Udo and Markus. We need to get this sorted or you can't claim that you have localization support for media content.

How should we go about to log this as a feature request?

Thanks,
Fredrik

Hello Fredrik,

We've logged it as a feature reuqest. You may vote and track it here - http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/sitefinity/8309

Best wishes,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi,

a track already exist for this, I subscribe on it since a long time (March or April) : http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/sitefinity/5304.

Localization system is the most badly finalized part of Sitefinity.....
An evolution who can permit localization support for media content will be great. But it's a major evolution who probably have an impact on database, It's the critical change which will need numerous tests. Thank you for making out tests to avoid regressions.

Regards,
Nicolas

For the record, this flaw as well as the inability to have localized custom fields are two major drawbacks that forced us to adopt bad designs on our sites. This will keep haunting us as these sites are and will remain a maintenance nightmare.

I completely agree with Thomas. And it complicated and slowed down our developments.

Regards,
Nicolas

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Dec-2011 00:00

I just wanted to tell you once again that this is realy causing confusion with clients.

One of my clients did create a LibraryEN and a LibrayDE
Uploaded en en.jpg to LibraryEN
Uploaded en de.jpg to LibraryDE

So far so good. Now in a page we he added the images de.jpg from LibraryDE (unfortunately he also had this image transled in conten
which resulted of cours in showing de.jpg in the english translation of this page.

I sure which localization was possible for images where you could have multiple images for one item.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Markus Berchtold,

I agree. The bug issue is logged for improvement. 

Best wishes,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Dec-2011 00:00

This is really disappointing.  The main reason we chose to upgrade from 3.7 to 4 was the support for localized documents and as we get into the migration we realize there is no actual support for localized documents.  What is the use of creating a localized title if we can't link it to the correct locale of the document?  I was really excited about sitefinity 4 but as we get into the transition I have yet to find a single new feature that is actually complete and working. 

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Feb-2013 00:00

@Georgi

Hi Markus Berchtold,I agree. The bug issue is logged for improvement. Best wishes,
UNQUOTE

Any news on localization of images, documents and so on

Markus

PS: I don't even know how the download would work since if I remember correct ther is only one template to be used.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2013 00:00

Hello Markus,

Localization for media items is not included in the plans for the upcoming releases. However, there's a public feature request on the subject, where you can vote for it and depending on the number of votes it collects, the team will decide whether the feature should be implemented:

www.telerik.com/.../pits.aspx

Greetings,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Apr-2013 00:00

Any updates on media content localization?

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2013 00:00

Dear Denis

I don't see it happen: http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/sitefinity/14212

Get 60 people to vote and we might have a chance

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2013 00:00

There is another PITS entry for the same thing - www.telerik.com/.../pits.aspx

So many duplicates, so few implementations...

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2013 00:00

Thank you for the replies. Added my votes.

This thread is closed