Advice for custom role to add users

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 03:18

Advice for custom role to add users

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

I have deployed a Sitefinity 4.2 site for a customer. While I'm retaining most administrative responsibility, I need to grant them the ability to create additional users, but not to do other administrative tasks (change configuration, accidentally tinker with the backend, etc.) I set up a role with what I thought would give them basic permissions to do this, but when I log in as this role I can't see the Administrative section of the backend. 

I read through some forum posts, and one about visibility of the Pages section of the backend mentioned that you had to go and change the permissions so that custom role could see that section. That got me thinking, so I went and looked under Administration > Backend Pages, and sure enough, there's no way this user would see that section as only Administrators can see that section.

So.... before I tinker with the Backend Pages, I'd like some advice. What is the best solution here? To add this role so it can see their way down to the User Management branch of the Administration section? Any other (better?) solutions anyone can think of?

J

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Julia Essex,

In order for your custom role to be able to manage Sitefinity users, please navigate to ~/Sitefinity/Administration/Users (or alternatively click on Administration->Permissions) and from the Global permissions settings, please add your role to the list of roles allowed to "Manage Users". For your convenience I'm attaching several screenshots demonstrating the exact location of these settings.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2011 00:00

Doesn't seem to work. I've attached two additional screenshots -- the Global permissions settings you asked me to set, and the view of the dashboard when my test user with this role logs in.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Julia Essex,

Please find attached a sample video demonstrating setting up the desired functionality. Generally, you should make sure that the backend page for User Management has properly configured View permissions (if you haven't changed anything, it should be visible to all BackendUsers, as shown in the video). Then once you give ManageUsers permission to your role, you should be able to seee the Users backend page when you log in. Please note that in the demo video, my user is a member of the BackendUsers role, that's why I've configured the ManageUsers permissions for all backend users as well.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2011 00:00

You realize there are almost no players for Flash files, right?

I am now getting an error message accessing Sitefinity/Administration/BackendPages/Pages, so I'm opening up a support ticket.

This thread is closed