Upgrade to 4.x from 3.7

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:19

Upgrade to 4.x from 3.7

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Oct-2011 00:00

Is there a clear and supported upgrade path to 4.x from 3.7 available yet? 

Dear Eric

As far as I know you have to upgrade 3.7 to the .net 4.0 version first. I guess SP4 would make sense. After that it seems you can crate a new site and use the module on the dashboard.

Never tried it.
Some stuff sure wont work like modules that don't exist in 4.x yet, custom code that would have to be looked after.

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/migrating-from-3-to-4/sitefinity-3-7-to-4-2-or-net-3-5-to-4.aspx

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/migrating-from-3-to-4/upgrading-3-7-net-3-5-to-4-2.aspx

There is also a special forum for these questions.

I would open a support ticket.

Also Telerik is very interested in demo projects to test the upgrade process. Maybe in your ticket you can ask them if they want your project to test, so they could kind of tell you how much trouble you might run into.

Regards Markus

Hello Eric Krauska,

You need to move your 3.7 SP4 project to .NET 4.0, by applying the patch which you can find in your downloads page. After you make sure your project starts using .NET 4.0 you can create a new 4.2 Project, which contains the migration module. Then you need to follow the on-screen instructions.

You can follow my post in this thread you can find useful information.

Basically you need a fresh copy of Sitefinity 4.2 to complete the process. Once you have it set click on the Migration tool and follow the on - screen instructions.

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

in my thread at www.sitefinity.com/.../yet-another-migrating-3-7-to-4-2-question.aspx I was told that I did not need to upgrade my project to .net 4, as the migration module would handle the conversion showing that it supports 3.x .net 3.5. I was under the impression that it's 3.7 sp3 or higher. Can you confirm?

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Chris,

If you are migrating your project using 4.2 SP1 you need to be using .NET 3.5 or .NET 4.0. However your website needs to be 3.7 SP4. If you use earlier versions please download the patch ( it can be found in your downloads page ) and apply it.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed