Sitefinity Sitemap Generator Released!

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:20

Sitefinity Sitemap Generator Released!

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello everybody,

We're pleased to announce the release of a free component for Sitefinity: Sitefinity Sitemap Generator.
Having faced the need for an automatic SEO sitemap generator ourselves, we have implemented it in the best-possible fashion and are distributing it for free.

It comes with a lot of features, probably the best is the prioritization of pages depending on the controls a page contains: pages with dynamic controls like NewsView receive a higher priority and change frequency, which in turn makes the sitemap a more accurate reflection, boosting your SEO index/efficiency.

Here's a full feature list.

• Dynamic prioritization of pages: pages containing dynamic (e.g. NewsView) widgets are marked with a higher priority and change frequency.
  • Optional inclusion of non-indexed & non-crawlable pages.
  • Permissions-based sitemap generation: Front-end pages that are denied to anonymous users are excluded from the sitemap.
  • Automatic Robots.txt creation and registration.
  • High performance and low latency. Served over a Routehandler.
  • Automatic installation & easy deployment: just copy the dlls inside the /bin folder. Done.
  • Fully configurable.

You can get it here. Download Sitemap Generator for Sitefinity 4

Best regards,

The Enterprisefinity team

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello,

Congratulations on launching this component.
We are glad to see it live and also glad to see your web site live. 

Keep up the good work!

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2011 00:00

I'm getting an error when including the .dll files in my bin directory:

Unsupported language "en-US". If you want to support this language, please configure your application accordingly.

What's wrong?

I'm using 5 languages inside my project, where the default is english.

Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Oct-2011 00:00

Hey Daniel,

We have tested the generator with unsynchronized and synchronized translations with a random amount of locales and didn't encounter any errors.
It seems that your site has a configuration we didn't test for and/or some unpredicted behavior in Sitefinity's Pages API for multilingual pages.

Let's continue the discussion over at support@enterprisefinity.com. Can you send us the error log? Alternatively, we could examine your site locally, if sharing the database is an option for you.

Once a fix is available we'll publish that in the next version.

All the best,

P.S. We're currently planning to implement proper multi-language sitemaps that avoid redundancy and include pages that are not available in the default language. This will improve the accuracy for multilingual sites.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Oct-2011 00:00

We are also getting an error... We have a custom control that works as our breadcrumb and for some reason it errors off trying to find the control.  Thanks in advance, Ron

System.ArgumentException: Type "~/Controls/ucPageHeading.ascx" cannot be resolved.

Generated: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 16:17:11 GMT

System.ArgumentException: Type "~/Controls/ucPageHeading.ascx" cannot be resolved.
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities.TypeConverters.TypeResolutionService.GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
   at EF.SitemapGenerator.SitemapGenerator.<>c__DisplayClassd.<PageNodeContainsDynamicControls>b__b(Type k)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
   at EF.SitemapGenerator.SitemapGenerator.<PageNodeContainsDynamicControls>b__a(PageControl c)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
   at EF.SitemapGenerator.SitemapGenerator.PageNodeContainsDynamicControls(PageNode p)
   at EF.SitemapGenerator.SitemapGenerator.<GenerateSitemapXml>b__4(PageNode p)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.AddContentSkipNotify(Object content)
   at EF.SitemapGenerator.SitemapGenerator.GenerateSitemapXml()
   at EF.SitemapGenerator.Routing.SitemapRouteHandler.GetHttpHandler(RequestContext requestContext)
   at System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.PostResolveRequestCache(HttpContextBase context)
   at System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.OnApplicationPostResolveRequestCache(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Hello everybody,

We're pleased to announce the availability of a new version.

We resolved the bug posted by Ron and introduced the following features:

• Improved multilingual support
  • Improved performance
  • Introduced support for 4.2
You can get the new version here.

Best regards,

Excellent Work!  The new version is working. Thanks again. Keep up the good work.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi, I went to the generator page and it says it supports

• 4.2 SP1

But what about 4.1? I read through the thread at one point 4.2 just became available. Is there a way I can get this for 4.1? Was it available for 4.1 ever?

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Feb-2012 00:00

Hey everybody,

I'm using SF4.4 and Version 1.4 of the Generator. My Problem is that i copied the two ddls into the bin folder of my WebApp, but there's no menu entry "Administration > Sitemap Generator" in the backend.

Do I have to do more than just to copy these two files? I already tried to reference them in the Project with the same result.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Feb-2012 00:00

You may have already figured this out... but Restart your site (in IIS restart the Site).

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Feb-2012 00:00

What is the actual URL of the generated sitemap I can use to submit to search engines like Google? I tried www.mydomain.com/sitemap.axd (what I used to use when using Newtonsoft sitemap generator) and that failed. 

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Feb-2012 00:00

nevermind... I figured it out. :)

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2012 00:00

Could you generate for 5.0 2860?

Regads

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2012 00:00

Could you generate for 5.0 2860?

Regads

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Sep-2012 00:00

Any plans to update the Sitemap Generator for 5.1 of Sitefinity?

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2013 00:00

Can we get an update for 5.1?

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Feb-2013 00:00

Hello,

To get this information you will need to contact the publisher of the Sitemap Generator, which is Enterprisefinity. Please note that widgets/modules in the marketplace are 3rd party add-ons, that are not provided by Sitefinity.

Kind regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Well, this thread shows perfectly that we don't want to rely on third parties when it comes to core components that 99.9% of websites need. It should just be included in Sitefinity so that we don't have to wait for updates, or worse: change to another component because the update just never comes. Any CMS should include a perfect XML Sitemap generator.

Guys, excuse the delay. The reason is quite simple: the effort required to build, test and maintain versions of any publicly distributed Sitefinity-dependent component grows with the amount of releases Sitefinity has per year. (Imagine supporting  4.4 through 5.3, not counting the service packs)

Telerik, to our information, does not provide any tools that might help to automate builds and testing of components for Sitefinity across multiple versions. We are forced to reingeneer our build process and this took more time than expected. After all we release tested components, independently of the distribution model/price and this has its toll.

Right now, you can use assembly redirects to use the component with newer versions of Sitefinity.

Stay tuned to a new build soon.

Actually, I have redirects in place and it's not showing up how the documentation describes. I did find where to modify in Advanced settings and attempted to configure accordingly.  On save, it did update the config file but did not function past that.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Feb-2013 00:00

We posted an update today that you can find here:

enterprisefinity.com/.../sitemap-generator

Sitefinity 5.3 and 5.4 are now supported.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2013 00:00

Thanks for the update!

I keep getting invalid zip file (cleared cache, tried multiple browsers)

Am I the only one?

Why is 5.1 the only version not supported? Any plans to update it to support 5.1?

@Enterprisefintiy

Same here invalid ZIP

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jun-2013 00:00

Enterprisefinity, any plans to support 6+ with canonical urls?

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jun-2013 00:00

@Telerik: when will Sitefinity include an XML Sitemap generator? This really is one of those basic features that we should be able to use out of the box. Real SEO friendliness comes with an XML Sitemap.

@all

This is a tool which I think is able to easely create a sitemap and in addition gives quick feedback on various  S.E.O  states

http://www.microsoft.com/web/seo

Comes from MS and Plugs into IIS

You might want to give it a try.

Markus

@all

Can not answer invalid post content. Try to put that link together

www. microsoft. com/web/seo

Markus

Hi Markus,

Thanks, that's a really nice toolkit! I installed it on my local machine and it does some very useful analysis. However, it's not available on my live host. Also I think a CMS integrated Sitemap generator can do a far better job for active websites with ever growing numbers of forum posts, etc. It really needs to be a Sitefinity feature. After all Sitefinity is said to be SEO friendly, so this should be included.

I want to answer you but I am also getting the "invalid post content" error.

EDIT: well, posting seemed to have worked after a while

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jun-2013 00:00

@Arno
  There's a sitemap sample in the sdk, download that and extend (thats what I did)...I know out of the box is nicer (for a small site)...but larger I want a bit more control of what shows up :)

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jun-2013 00:00

I will do so. Thanks Steve!

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jul-2013 00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your solutions with the community.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Aug-2013 00:00

Any updates on whether Sitefinity will incorporate this into their next release? ARNO is right, this should be a standard feature within the CMS.
@Enterprisefinity are you still supporting this feature? We are now on Sitefinity 6.1 and couldn't seem to find a compatible Sitemap Generator solution for this version.
Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Aug-2013 00:00

Hi Stefani, I couldn't find a PITS mention about an autogenerated sitemap. Was this never actually posted as a need for future releases? Yikes! We need it.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2013 00:00

Hi all,

I have created a feature request for you. You could find its description and vote for its popularity on the following URL. When planning releases, we are always going through the feature requests in PITS and taking decision based on votes.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Dec-2013 00:00

I have not been able to get this to work for all of our languages.  It is only picking up "EN" pages.  We have 15 languages in all and it is not picking up any of the other languages.  Has someone got it to work for languages other than "EN"?  Also, it seemed to duplicate a few pages.  We have a Search Results page and it has that page listed 8 times.  Another page, it lists 5 times.  No other pages appear to be duplicated.  Any feedback would be great.  We just went live with this site and are attempting to get a Sitemap XML in order to submit to Bing for our site to get indexed.

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Dec-2013 00:00

Anyone have any issues getting this add-on to work correctly.  I have a few issues where it is duplicating some English pages and is not picking up on any of our other languages at all.  It states it is multilingual, but I cannot get it to work.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Dec-2013 00:00

Hello,

You could contact the published of the Sitemap Generator, which is Enterprisefinity to get more information.

I hope that we will have this feature out of the box soon.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Dec-2013 00:00

I did contact them and they said they only offer support with "payments for support".  On this post, I was hoping to get anyone with experience with the add-on to provide any details if at all possible.  If they have done what I am trying to do and/or success/failure they have had.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Apr-2015 00:00

Hello Steve,

How to have sitemap on my sitefinity 6.3?

Version 5.5 and above does not have the sitemap generator..

Thank you 

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Apr-2015 00:00

Hi Mo,

Please note that the Sitemap generator is introduced as an out of the box functionality in Sitefinity 7.1 as it is noted in the release notes.

For versions below Sitefinity 7.1, you can refer to the Sitemap sample project which we have uploaded to github at the following link and use it in order to generate the sitemap for your Sitefinity website.

You can click on the Releases link in order to check the available versions of the Sitemap sample and download the sample for the desired Sitefinity version.

After you download the project, you can further extend it to make it fit your exact use case scenario.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Apr-2015 00:00

I already have that release file(Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.Sitemap-6.3.5000) but i am confused, which file or folder to use.

Firstly, I try to copy the Module folder (from the Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.Sitemap-6.3.5000 folder) which has the Sitemap folder added it to my sitefinity project and  build it, nothing happens.

Secondly, open that solution in Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.Sitemap-6.3.5000 and change the connection string to my development, then run it, i got errors..

I think i am doing it wrong or something

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jul-2015 00:00

did any one managed to copy the code to their own code base and managed to run it ?

is there any other configuration needed to be set on my project ?

Update: managed to add it using "install new module" need to update the github readme

This thread is closed