Newsletter field options - I'm blind again

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 08:25

Newsletter field options - I'm blind again

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2011 00:00

I seems I am blind again.

Where can I set this: First and last name not optional

Markus

PS: Probably as soon as I send this I find it. I sent it anyway otherwise I would not find it. It's like taking an umbralla results in nice weather, but if you forget it the rain will be heavy.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

As I understand you want to remove the optional functionality from the Subscribe Widget. To achieve this you can use custom template add validators in it. You can find a simple SubscribeForm.ascx with validation for first name and last name in the attached .zip file. Just follow the steps in this help article to change the path of the template to use external widget template.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,
Veronica Milcheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Oct-2011 00:00

Dear Veronica

Thanks for the workaround. However if I am not mistaken this would be valid for all Newsletter sign-ups which in same rare cases might not be wanted.

After having proposed many improvments in Febrary to which most I got a thumbs up I was expcting at least such a common thing to be implemented:
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/suggestions/newsletter-sugestions.aspx

Newsletters are only realy good if you can address the receipient personally With Hello Mr. Berchtold for example.

Sure would hope that now the mails stuff is out of beta for a while to see a good portion of these suggestions implemented soon.

Once again thanks for the good feedback with example.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

Unfortunately I cannot think of another solution so that the new template to not be applied in all scenarios.
I agree that we need to make simpler whether these fields are optional or not.

Althought there is not much time till the next Major Release and probably we will not succeed to implement your requirements for the next version - we will discuss them further and think whether we can include them in the future.

Kind regards,
Veronica Milcheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Oct-2011 00:00

Dear Veronica

Thanks for the feedback again. Having made these suggestions in February and not seeing them till now does not make me optimistc to see them in 3.4.

Again. To me this is simply such a common scenario to have a newsletter subscription with at least these fields.

a) Titele - Mr. Ms
b) First Name
c) Last Name
d) E-mail
e) E-Mail confirmation

You should be able to choose which fields are needed and which are mandatory (of course e-mail with regex that it really is an e-mail address)

We are not even talking about captcha, Opt-in and stuff which any modern subrcription to any newsletter probably has.

So there is still a lot of potential for SF and I am sure none of you will get board in the next 12 months.

And it's like x-mas to us. You can wish for everything but you don't get everything. But anything we get will be a pleasure.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

Your requests are forwarded to our Project Managers and we will do our best to satisfy themprovided we have the development time to include them in our planning. Once again thank you very much for the constructive feedback.

All the best,
Veronica Milcheva
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jul-2012 00:00

Wouldn't it be nice when 5.2 would not only allow you to set this without fiddeling around with templates but also let you add fileds like Mr. Ms. so you know the sex of a person signing up.
Lots of languages make a difference in text depending if you have a male or female addrasee.
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2014 00:00

Well I thought I ask again if the highly appraised newsletter module is getting work done on it.

a) Title - Mr. Ms
b) First Name
c) Last Name
d) E-mail 
e) E-Mail confirmation
f) opt-in

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jul-2014 00:00

Hello Markus,

Out of the box widget still provides three options available - mail, first name and last name. This widget can be modified relatively easy. You can check the following thread for more information.

Custom Subscribe form

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jul-2014 00:00

Dear Kaloyan

I know we can programm everything ourself. Even an opt-in, opt-out which I would think should come out of the box if you are able to have 50'000 subscribers and more - not

Markus

This thread is closed