Group pages and selected items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:46

Group pages and selected items

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi all,

I've enclosed an attachment which show the structure of my pages tree.
When I click the top level node on my website, I expect the first child element of the 2nd level to be selected.

It would be great to know if this should be the normal behaviour, because now randomly the items in my submenu are selected or not selected.

Or should I use a real redirect for this?

Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for using our services.
By "When I click the top level node on my website" you mean any of "Join the action", "About", and "Learn More!" pages, right? The default behavior of the group page is to navigate to its first sub-page, however in the specific scenario you have implemented, your first sub-page is also a group page, so the same logic will be implemented. In other words, clicking on "About" or "Learn More!" will redirect you to "Introduction" or "What is it all about?" respectively.
In your navigation, the current node will be selected, which will be the content page, not the group page. I have prepared a short video for you demonstrating the functionality of the default navigation, and a customized TreeView navigation (the upper one) which works with somewhat different logic - it will display as selected the Group page you have clicked and expand its first sub-page, be it a group page or a standard page. If the customized functionality suits you better, I'm attaching the control to this reply - you'll just need to include it in your project, build it and specify it as a template for the Sitefinity navigation
control (you can do that by editing the widget and specifying the app relative path to the template in the TemplatePath box of the Navigation control's design settings).

I hope this information helps. If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know. I'll be glad to assist you further.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/295/308239_5F00_TreeViewCustom.rar:320:240]

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/295/308238_5F00_Navigation_2D00_menus_2D00_group_2D00_pages.rar:320:240]

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Boyan,

Thanks for your explanation and help.
I guess the expected behavior is that it should work as the second treeview in your movie. Maybe I explained it wrong.

The only problem is that I'm unable to configure the navigation widget so that it only shows the child nodes of the currently selected top page.

I've set it up like this:

1. Tree (vertical with sub-levels)  
2. All pages under currently opened page  
3. All existing levels

But when navigation to e.g. 'About', it shows nothing. With or without the custom template?

Am I still not getting it?

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Yes, you are right, by default it will not display anything when set to All pages under currently opened page, since the actual node is the first content page under the group page. However, it might be possible to configure a user control that mimics the behavior of the default TreeView, but displays the pages under a Group page when clicking on a group page. I'm attaching a sample user control I've created for you and a short video demonstrating how it works.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/295/308383_5F00_TreeViewModified.rar:320:240]

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/295/308384_5F00_CustomTreeView.rar:320:240]

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed