reg Load balancing and performance

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 10:30

reg Load balancing and performance

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Oct-2011 00:00

Dear Telerik support resource,

This is sravan from India, we have been using Sitefinity 4.1 in the course of developing a website, Its time to deploy the application in client place where we can see the website with actual data from client side, In the course of deployement we have come across some articles in sitefinity developer resource center where they have mentioned about Load balancing and web farm methodology,

when we are accessing pages for content updation from sitefinity login some times its showing alert like sitefinity page drafts etc and its not allowing to publish any more, Its forsing us to recycle the website from IIS, when we searched for solution we came across performence and load balancing

Here is actually my question is.  We have deployed the application in such way we have multiple application servers where the precompiled form of website code located that is in two locations and these both application servers interacting with single database server, that is using Hardware load balancing of "Juniper",

But from the document i have seen from your resource its mentioned about Network load balancing, Please suggets me what should i do so that admin can never face thsi type of alerts and hanging

Thank you
regards
Sravan Tatikonda

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Sravan,

The documentation is also for hardware load balancers. We use the F5 BigIP devices for our load balancing. You will however need the profesisonal edition or would have to purchase the load balancing add-on for standard.

Regards,
Jean Erasmus

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Sravan,

To use load balancing and Sitefinity you need to setup the server environment as described in this part of the documentation. Also as Jean already mentioned you will need load balancing module for Sitefinity that will manage the communication between the servers. The load balancing module is a payed add-on with Standard edition and comes out of the box with Professional, here you can review the official information.

Also when you have setup the whole environment you will need to put the machine keys of bot servers (if they are two) in Sitefinity web.config. Is your load balancing environment already setup this way?

Best wishes,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Nov-2011 00:00

Just to say as a testimony, we managed to get the NLB working fine. Two Web Servers and two SQL Servers. The Web Servers are NLBed with nothing in common and the SQL Servers are Mirrored through SQL Mirroring. Works fine, no issues. Just make sure the hardware is good, as Sitefinity at the moment needs good hardware. We are using the Proffesional Edition.
Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Telerik,

This is Sravan from India,

1. We are using Hardware Load Balancing of Juniper and we have not purchased the Sitefinity Add-on for Load Balancing. The way currently the servers are set up as two server and both the servers has their own IIS and web directory (instead of keeping the web directory in a shared network server as shown in the document). Do you think this will create problem? If yes then can you tell us in which areas.

2. What exactly is the Sitefinity Add-on for load balancing does and is there any kind of a documentation for that product. Also please let us know the problem if that add-on was not installed. Also is it required only for NLB or we need that for Hardware load balancing also.

regards

Sravan

Hi Sravan,

1.    This will only be a problem if you are using the filesystem as storage for your documents and images. In this case you will have to use some replication software to keep the file systems of both servers synchronized. We use windows 2008 R2 DFS to do the job and have no issues.

2.    This is required regardless of which mechanism you use for load balancing. We had the same issue and upgraded to professional to gain access to load balacing. The cost for the add-on to standard and just upgrading from standard to professional was more or less the same. I'm not sure why Telerik has deviated from the standard implementation of asp.net, I think it is to do with the caching.

Regards,
Jean Erasmus

We had exactly teh same set-up. Two IIS WebServers and we had issues when the NLB was not working ok. The problems we were having were that some pages would update and some would not. Only teh pages that currently were being served by teh same server that the back-end was served by through which you just did the page edit. So if you have different pages going to different WebServers (which what an NLB is) then you will have some pages not updating.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Andrei,

@Sravan Sitefinity NLB module is invalidating cache so when a user logs and makes a modification to some content like news the update is done only on one of the servers to which the user is connected. With the NLB module after the change is made on one server the servers communicate the change so that it is reflected on the other server and since they share one database the cachce is invalidated and the changes are written in the database.

@Anderei it looks like a problem with NLB configuration or missing NLB module.

All the best,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Nov-2011 00:00

Stanislav,

I do not have that problem anymore. I had it a few months ago, but it got fixed. I was only sharing my experience as I thought it might be similar to what @Sravan is dealing with. My project works fine.

This thread is closed