4.2 -> 4.3 question

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:24

4.2 -> 4.3 question

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2011 00:00

When I upgrade a v4.2 project in Project manager to v4.3, is it only the files that are overwritten?  or does the upgrade process actually connect to the live database and update/modify any schema?

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Nov-2011 00:00

bump ?

reason I am asking is that I upgraded Sitefinity on a staging server that had 4.2 to v4.3.
I right clicked an existing project and selected "upgrade".  It said it would update site & SQL, but I know that the server does not have access to the DB server.   I then copied the upgraded project to my prod server.  Now, when I log in to the admin UI, it says "v4.3" at the bottom.   I'm just wondering if there are, in fact, updates that need to be applied to the DB to bring it to v4.3 also?  or I did what I did in updating the files completely bring the site to v4.3?

When you click the button it updates a bunch of files, but NOT the database.

The database (whichever you specified in your data.config) gets updated when IIS fires the site up.  So once you hit your url with the freshly upgraded bin folder assemblies the upgrade to the DB happens.

Inceidentally all I do to upgrade my site on shared hosting is just copy up the bin and clientbin folders and it updates itself in a couple minutes.

(probably wise though inbetween those steps to open Visual Studio and re-compile your project against the new assemblies)

Steve

Thank you, Steve.   The site I am testing with is, in fact, in a shared hosting environment.
I'll add the VS step as well, just for good measure.

This thread is closed