Support for Deployment and Promotion

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 03:41

Support for Deployment and Promotion

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Nov-2011 00:00

How can Sitefinity content and code changes can be migrated between environments and instances -- such as development to staging to production?

Does Sitefinity provide any native support for this?  If not, what are the techniques and best practices for promotion of Sitefinity code and content changes?

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Jay,

It is good that you have decided to develop your application locally on then go a staging environment and deploy it on production. This gives you the option to test and diagnose your project and if there are any problems you will be able to diagnose and fix them without affecting the live site.

Having a development and staging environment gives you the option to make changes to your website on the development machine and use a data comparing tool, like the one that is built in VS ( check the attached screenshot ) to commit and upload all changes that are being made to the database to the staging environment. The tool will compare the two databases and change only the data that has been modified on the target database. It is not necessary to use the one that comes with VS if you feel more comfortable using other software.

You can use FTP for any files that need to be uploaded or other type of file comparison tool.

The same process can be applied for the production stage.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Nov-2011 00:00

Dear Victor

I was expecting something more like 4.4 beeing mentioned. Am I wrong?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Markus Berchtold,

I could not fully understand the note, but if I assume you expected to see an option that will guide you through the process of deployment between different environments in 4.4?

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2011 00:00

No Victor

I was under the impression that 4.4 would bring a functionalltiy that would support Jay in his requst. Therefor I expected an answer like.

We are currently working on 4.4 which will acutally give you such a functionallity soon ......

http://www.sitefinity.com/asp-net-cms-features/roadmap.aspx
Site synchronization - Allow customers to set up seamless, one way, staging / QA / production scenario. In the first iteration, we will focus only on built-in content types, pages and widgets.     

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Markus Berchtold,

The first step towards such functionality is the upcoming Site-Sync feature on which we put a lot of effort. We indeed work on such type of functionality but as of today there is no other alternative.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Nov-2011 00:00

Victor,

Can you confirm if the Site Sync feature will be available on all versions?

thanks

justin

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Nov-2011 00:00

Sorry, but feature comparison does not mention standard edition. So dont have your hopes to heigh.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi all,

The Site - Sync feature will be available only for the Enterprise licensed projects.

You can review the extensions for the different editions of Sitefinity here:

http://www.sitefinity.com/purchase.aspx

Best wishes,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed