Sitefinity.com using 3.7 not 4.x?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:12

Sitefinity.com using 3.7 not 4.x?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi,

We are looking to move from Sitefinity 3.7 to  4.3 but notice that both the sitefinity.com and telerik.com sites are still on 3.7.  This makes us concerned about the new version in terms of making the change for some of our bigger sites.  What are your plans for moving to the new version and why haven't you done so already?

Ben

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Ben,

Thank you for contacting us. 
We are looking forward to migrating both sites to Sitefinity 4. The reason why they are not yet done in 4.x is priorities.

Let us know when you start migrating your web sites, we'll do our best to help.

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I wouldn’t count on help from Sitefinity team,

I'm trying already for 10 month to migrate our site and no sign of proper help, just excuses and promises for belter times.

@Bostjan,

Not to start a flame war, but you can't expect a car sales man to give you driving lessons. From my 4-5 yrs of experience, Telerik support is setting the industry standard.

Their support tickets are handled prompt and professional and often followed up by mail or phone. I've received code snippets, styling suggestions and even on some occasions screen casts to clarify certain issues. And here, on the community forums, they usually respond within a few work days and provide us with snippets, directions, solutions and workarounds.

Having said that and neither being part of the team or proper, I'm always up for a challenge :) If after 10 months you've not been able to migrate, I'd love to have a go at it... No cure no pay.

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2011 00:00

Hmm, I am also getting the best support I've seen so far - snippets, samples, workarounds. I reported about 10 bugs and all of them were fixed. Meanwhile I was provided with code that fixed the issue and actually this was really helpful
( my boss was going to kick my .... )but the team helped again.  Haven't received a call yet, but it wasn't needed for me. I had 2 quite large websites with custom logic. I used the migration tool that Sitefinity team offered and moved out of the box logic from 3.7 SP4 websites. Then my team wrote a custom code to transfer 10 custom modules I had and content data that was about 3 GB. So far everything works fine from me. Hope to see new features with the next release of Sitefinity. I heard that the team works on sitesync that is something which I am looking for since 3.1. I saw that there would be a module builder, so I am just waiting for the next release and upgrade.

Hello Bostjan,

I am sorry to hear that you cannot migrate the web site. We've offered help before, when we got your project and set it up locally. We were able to migrate 144 pages, 28 libraries, 1750 content items. Unfortunately we did not hear anything back after this, so we are not sure where you are at with the project. There has been quite a few updates since we migrated your web site locally.

Could you please let us know in a separate thread what the remaining issues are, so that we can address them?

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I agree that Telerik support is generally incredibly good!  They are very active on their forums and answer questions well and in a timely manner, often offering actual code snippets to use.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2011 00:00

Finally some positive feedback.

It seems that here not behind the ticket system you get better respond. Great J

Our story: On one of our websites we are using List Module where University professors are all stored under One List. Each professor has been assigned with tags that correspond to the Program or Seminar where they teach. Now, when we created pages for faculty on many locations inside our website we dragged a List Control and set it with the fixed filter based on Tag Name.

For example: If the page was under MBA faculty we set the filter to Tag.Name = MBA and so on.

The reason behind:

1.       We have all CV’s now in one location

2.       if we change a CV of one professor the change is immediately  visibly on all locations where this professor is listed

3.       Displaying new created professor on all the pages where there is content  associated with his teaching, this is a matter of just adding additional tags to list item

4.       And many more benefits for those maintain this list

In SF 3.7 this worked like a charm out of the box and a loved this version of S.F so much that I sold it  to many clients.

In 4.x we are getting nowhere. We don’t want to spend additional money on developing something that should be there out of the box and the only thing that we are mission for this project  is.

-          Ability to apply fixed filter for List widget control (Category or Tag) like in news and Events widget

-          Ability to apply simple sort for list items  again like in news and events

-          Having upload control in Forms module

Our path in ticketing system was not as great as you describe and that’s why this reaction here. I know that they are doing their best and this is great, but they should also listen more and set priorities differently.

But if everybody is so satisfied why do I see so many negative forum posts elsewhere. Specially regarding bugs,  and performance issues.

But in General the product is great. I agree.  

Thanks to all you guys here to give me back the confidence that we chose the right CMS

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Bostjan,

n 4.x we are getting nowhere. We don’t want to spend additional money on developing something that should be there out of the box and the only thing that we are mission for this project  is.

-          Ability to apply fixed filter for List widget control (Category or Tag) like in news and Events widget

-          Ability to apply simple sort for list items  again like in news and events

-          Having upload control in Forms module

But these features were not available in 3.x as well. Correction - Ability to sort list items is available in 4.x but not in 3.x. You can even sort the items by drag and drop, depending on your choice. 

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team

This thread is closed