Toolboxes.config

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:03

Toolboxes.config

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2011 00:00

When I have the toolboxes config open I keep getting "file has changed" popups in VS2010...I think after a build

What's changing with that file to make it do that?  I just had my site crash because something is trying to modify that file and I got an "Access is Denied" error (having the host fix it)

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

Actually, configuration files are a "mirror" of the database. Every time you open or modify your project it gets information from its configuration files. Right before that configuration files verify that same configurations are available in the database, and only when this condition is fulfilled, information is send to your project. In other words, when your config file is opened, it connects to the database, makes sure that configurations at both places are the identical and then sends information for a change (dummy change) to your project . That's why you get a "file has changed" massage when no actual change has been done. With the release of Sitefinity 4.0  you are able to move your configuration files to the database, as shown in this blog post. If this is done, there won't be any verification between your project and the database and you won't get warning messages.

Regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2011 00:00

I DID NOT KNOW THAT!  Thank you :)

**EDIT** Hey Jen, quick question...radoslavs answer on the post makes it seem like it's not a mirror?

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2011 00:00

You're welcome, Steve!

I actually used 'mirror' to make it more descriptive and easy to understand. The config files in App_Data are reflecting the settings in the database so you can easy make changes to settings that are essential for modifying content without getting into complexity of database queries.

All the best,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2011 00:00

SO if I switch it to DB mode, and the physical .config files still exist, and I CHANGE one of the .config files (or delete one)...what happens?

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Steve,

I wouldn't recommend deleting the config files, cause this would lead to problems with your project - for example modules might not work properly, since what I called a 'mirror' in the database first verifies that certain content is in the config files and just after that information is sent to your project. If it can't find the configuration files you will end up with an error message. What you could do is move configurations to database at the time you're creating your project, as explained in Radoslav's blog post. This way only few config files will be created, which are necessary for the project's proper operation. Any further configuration changes will be persisted in the database.

All the best,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

This thread is closed