Frontend: user register, login, change password, recover pas

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:07

Frontend: user register, login, change password, recover password?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2011 00:00

I'm trying to implement frontend user registration/login/logout/change password/recover password functionality.  I created a login page and dragged and dropped a "Login" widget on the page.  By default, the "CreateUserUrl", "PasswordChangeUrl" and "PasswordRecoveryUrl" properties are set to display backend pages.  I assume that I need to creat frontend pages with Register, Change Password, and Recover Password functionality?  But the "Login" widgets toolbox doesn't appear to include widgets that support this.  What's the best way to do this?

Thanks--Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Steve,

You can change the url of those pages to whatever you like, however you will need to construct the logic of such widget because we do not provide such custom functionality out of the box, except for the built in password recovery page ( as well as the others ).

The following article may be useful to you, as it provides sample forgot password widget functionality:

www.sitefinity.com/.../implement-forgot-password-functionalilty-in-sitefinity-application.aspx

Kind regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the reply.  I've had a look at the post you referenced and maybe I'm being dense but I'm still confused.  I assume I need to create custom controls for Registration, Password Recovery, etc.  Is that correct?

Assuming this was the case I created a custom control named "PasswordRecoveryWidget" with the following code:

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="PasswordRecoveryWidget.ascx.cs" Inherits="SitefinityWebApp.CustomControls.PasswordRecoveryWidget" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>

<sf:PasswordRecoveryForm runat="server" AllowSelectMembershipProvider="true" ID="PWRecoveryForm" MailDefinition-From="webmaster@mydomain.org" MailDefinition-IsBodyHtml="True" MailDefinition-Subject="Password Recovery">
</sf:PasswordRecoveryForm>

I added the control to "Settings>Advanced>Toolboxes>Toolboxes>PageControls>Sections>Login".  I created a new page named "Password Recovery" and dragged and dropped my new PasswordRecoveryWidget.  Next, I published the page and borwsed to it.  The page displays without error but there is no PasswordRecoveryForm on the page.  Clearly I'm doing something wrong here.  Looking at the custom control in design view, I see an "Error Rendering Control" (see the attached image).

Regarding the User Registration control; I assume I use UserManager.CreateUser?

Also, the post you referenced indicates that in order for password recovery to work the "the password format should be set to different than Hashed" . Is it safe to assume that setting this value to "Encrypted" will work and *will not* break login for existing users that were created when the value of this setting was "Hashed".

Lastly, I'm really surprized that these controls don't exist out of the box.  User account management is so common that it seems silly to have to create custom controls for functionality that's implemented in just about every website with user login capability.

--Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Nov-2011 00:00

Ok, I answered a few of my own questions:

The problem with the password recovery custom control turned out to be a problem with the way I created the control.  That's fixed and now works. 

Regarding passwordFormat changes; changing the password format doesn't break login for existing users but it doesn't fix the "Cannot retrieve Hashed passwords." problem for users that were created when the passwordFormat parameter was set to "Hashed".  Not a problem in my case since the site hasn't been rolled out but this could be a pretty big problem if you've got hundreds or thousands of users and decide to later make the change.  This potential pitfall should probably be included in the docs somewhere.

--Steve

Hello Steve,

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. I want to note that the widgets ( regarding the user registration and activation )  are still in development so you can expect news on that front at some point in the future.

Kind regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Victor,

Good to hear you guys are going to be adding this.  Is there an ETA for availability of the new widgets?

Thanks--Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately we do not have an exact date when the widgets will exit their beta stage, but it will be after Sitefinity 4.4.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Olivia,

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Victor,

The link in your reply: http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/frontend-user-register-login-change-password-recover-password.aspx is broken; I am getting a server error so am unable to see the page.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Lewis,

I am sorry for the broken link. Here is the correct one.

Kind regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed