Image Library Not Working & Want Images on Disk

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:11

Image Library Not Working & Want Images on Disk

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi,

I am on Sitefinity 4.3 and I have 2 problems.  One is that I can't upload images into the image library.  It looks like it's working but and I don't get an error, but I just get an X where the image should be.  screencast.com/.../MSJuhfLd4

The second issue is I can't use images I have on my disc.  We are upgrading an existing website and have hundreds of images in our ~/Images folder but we can't use them because your UI doesn't give us access to selecting images off of the disk.  Is that a setting where we can allow people to pick an image out of the database or off of the disk?  Should be able to do either way.

Also, can we have it NOT save to the database, as it brings in bloat to the db.  Can we just save image files to the disk and still be able to get multiple sizes and crop it and so forth?

Thanks

Ben

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello Ben,

Such problems may come from some lack of permissions or handler mappings, which are not set properly.  Make sure you have configured properly IIS and run Firebug when accessing the page to see what errors come up in Net tab. By default when you install IIS you enable static content which serves the files that are being exchanged though the services ( for example upload in Sitefinity ). If you want to upload specific file formats you have to add them manually. Please refer to the handler mappings section of your IIS control panel and check if you have the correct mappings for image files (jpg, jpg.tmb).

On your second question, I believe you aren't able to upload images from a folder with the name Images, because in Sitefinity Images folder is reserved. Renaming your folder will make it accessible through our UI. You also asked for a setting which allows you to pick image out of the database or from your file system. All images, uploaded to Sitefinity are saved to the database by default. When you're using an image widget, for exaple, you can pick from two possible options: Use already uploaded images (located in the database), or upload new ones (from your file system). This however, is not the only available scenario. Which leads us to your last question: Can we just save image files to the disk? Yes, there is a way to save files in your file system, instead of saving them in the database. To do so, you need to create a custom storage provider. Take a look at our documentation for detailed steps to achieving this.

Greetings,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed