Backend Page Editor problem

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:47

Backend Page Editor problem

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2011 00:00

Seemingly randomly, the page editor is hosing some of my page layout.  It's difficult to explain without seeing a picture that shows to problem so I have attached a screenshot (see bad.png) of the currently affected page. 

My default page template based on a master page.  This default template is used as the basis for a number of other page templates.  The page shown on the attached image uses one of these "child" (for lack of a better word) templates.  This child template (see template.png) is used on two pages that have nearly identical content.  Note that the screenshot of the second page (see good.png) renders properly in the page editor. 

When the problem occurs, the "Home" content block, which should be below the navigation bar, is shifted to the top of the page and none of the buttons, links, widget, and layout controls work.  The only fix seems to be to delete the page and recreate it.

Any thoughts?

--Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2011 00:00

- Maybe there are some conflicting CSS rules or a div that isn't closed properly? Without seeing any sample code, it is hard to know. The editor and the template have to play in the same room together, so a conflict will usually break the editor.

- If you are using Internet Explorer, maybe it is rendering in Quirks mode or IE 7 mode. Use F12 Developer Tools to view and test that.

- If it is happening in all browser, I would investigate the broken page with IE 9's F12 Developer Tools, and Chrome's Developer Tools, (or the Web Developer Plugin for Firefox) and click on the broken pieces to see what CSS rules are in effect, what javascript errors are occurring, or if there is a broken Div.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2011 00:00

I'm using IE 9 (in IE 9 standards mode) and FireFox 8.  The problem only occurrs in page edit mode.  The template that these pages is based on renders properly in the template editor.  Two pages are based on the same template and only one of the pages exhibits the problem.  The pages both have a single content block with a single h1 tag followed by an hr tag.  Everything else has been stripped out.  I even removed that widgets that were added to the template so it's virtually identical to the template it's based on but the problem persists.  While I would agree that this has all of the sign of being a problem caused by an html markup error such as mismatched opening and closing tags the markup using IE 9 developer and FireFox FireBug looks fine.

Stranger still, the affected page renders properly in live mode but is missing the content block visible above the page in the "bad.png" image.  As you might guess from looking at this image the content block should be below the navigation menu and to the left of the right content column.

If I delete the affected page and recreate it, it's fine for a while.  Then, after some random time interval it gets screwed up again even though no one has edited the page.  I'm OK with the bad HTML/CSS theory but it's more than a little wierd that it works for a while then breaks.

Also, once the page breaks, changing it's template to the site default template has no effect.

--Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2011 00:00

Is that content that appears above the menu set to position: fixed?

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Dan,

No it's not.  It's a standard SF content block with no overriding style rules.

--Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Dec-2011 00:00

We have the exact same problem. It seems like it started happening with version 4.3

Hi Gary,

Well at least I'm not crazy. 

@Telerik:

I started this thread on December 9th and still no comments from support.  It would be helpful if someone from Telerik could comment on this.

Thanks -- Steve

Well, I came across this earlier today and it seems to be caused by having a content placeholder in the <head> of your master page.

I removed the placeholder and everything returned to normal.

@Steve & @Gary,

If Tim's solution doesn't work, would either of you be able to send it to Telerik Support? (and post their response back here when you get one)

Dan

Hi Tim,

Very good catch.  I did in fact have a ContentPlaceHolder in the head section of my master page.  After deleting it form the master the SF content block showed up in the main portion of the page but still not in the ContentPlaceHolder I originally dropped it into.

Pretty odd that the ContentBlock would have been saved in the <head>  ContentPlaceHolder.  There really shouldn't be a way to drop any widgets there. 

Thanks -- Steve

Steve,

After I deleted the offending CPH from the template, the Content Block that I had originally placed there seemed to be rendered in the first CPH it could find. It stayed put after I moved it to another location and published the page.

It also seemed that, when the editor loads, none of the buttons or links in the page editor worked as expected if a widget is displayed in that CPH. I had to use my "Back" button to get back to the admin section.

The process seems to be:
1.) Remove the place holder found in the Head section of your template.
2.) Edit the page and drag the widget from wherever it rendered to the desired place holder
3.) Re-publish the page

I submitted this information on PITS but it isn't displayed for voting yet.

Tim,

I was seeing the broken buttons and links as well.  And yes, the browser back button was the only way out of the editor.

--Steve

This thread is closed