What option do I have to upload .MP4 or .FLV videos?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:55

What option do I have to upload .MP4 or .FLV videos?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2011 00:00

We have a number of videos to publish in Sitefinity, but they are all .MP4 and .FLV format. The video widget only allows uploading .WMV. What options/solutions do I have available to upload and display .MP4 or .FLV? We intend to output the video using the HTML5 video tag with MP4 as the primary and a fallback to .FLV.

I'm not seeing .WMV mentioned much as an HTML5 native video format.

Example: NetTuts: HTML5 Video with a Fallback to Flash

<video controls> 
    <source src="video.mp4" type="video/mp4" /> 

<!-- If the browser doesn't understand the <video> element, then reference a Flash file.  This is from the NetTuts example --> 
    <embed src="http://blip.tv/play/gcMVgcmBAgA%2Em4v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1024" height="798" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed

</video>

Ideas? Anyone else run into this?

Dan

P.S. This is one of the few outstanding issues we have left before we can deploy Sitefinity.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2011 00:00

No suggestions but some general comments for Telerik.  I don't understand why videos are limited to WMVs.  Window media files won't playback on iOS devices so why make this the default instead of MP4s which play back on pretty much everything.

--Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2011 00:00

Ok, so I'm going another route. I've created a new file library and uploaded my videos there. There are no restrictions on file format in the file library, but there is also no default movie player control, so I have to build that myself.

Work in progress. Now I need to figure out how to build a control that will output an item from this custom library into my HTML5 tag. I suppose this control will need a file chooser and such. I'll keep you up to date on my progress...

This thread is closed