Multiple Domains, some shared content, and different themes

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 03:09

Multiple Domains, some shared content, and different themes

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello,

I am trying to achieve the following:

1. Have two different domains (domainA.com and domainB.com).  We have two different licenes.
2.  Have SOME pages be shared across both domains.  For example, the homepage might be different, but the subpages underneath it should be shared.  Or entire page groups might be shared.  By shared, I mean that if a page is modified on one domainA, those changes are reflected on domainB.
3. Use a different theme for each domain.
4. Have a different sorting order for the pages on each domain.  For example, "Page Group A" contains 3 pages, PageA, PageB, and PageC.   I want them to be in a different order on domainB, for example, PageB, PageC, then PageA.  These pages however should be shared across both domains.

How many of my items above are possible?  If they are, what is best method of implementing this behavior?

Thank you.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello Amir,

Thank you for contacting us.

1) Create the main website which will create the pages.
2) Create secondary website which will pull pages from the first one.
3) Add a connection string in the second site which points to the database of the first one (Administration->Settings->Advanced->Data->ConnectionStrings).
4) Configure pages data provider which pulls pages from the main website by adding connectionString parameter to the OpenAccessDataProvider parameter with value the name of the connection string from step 3. You can do this from Administration->Settings->Advanced->Pages->Providers->OpenAccessDataProvider->Parameters.

Since the second site is only pulling content from the first one I suppose there will be no problem reordering pages and changing templates, however I haven`t tested this so I advise applying a few test on a backup of the project.

All the best,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Dec-2011 00:00

Thank you Stanislav,

If I'm just changing the page provider to point to the other database, won't ALL the pages be the same?   One of the requirements is to have SOME pages be different.  For example, the homepage will be different for each site, but all of the subpages are the same.  Does that make sense?

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello Amir,

When you change the provider you will have an option to view items between the two providers and you will  have all items imported from one provider as well as all the items in your database. 
The pages from your current project database will be preserved if you keep the current project provider Administration->Settings->Advanced->Pages->Providers->OpenaAccessDataProvider.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed