Content libraries and multiple languages

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:09

Content libraries and multiple languages

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Dec-2011 00:00

We are starting to work with content libraries for images and documents & files and are confused about handling multiple languages.

We work in English and French. My assumption was that I could upload an English file and then create a translation which would allow me to upload the French version of the same file. This would be inline with the model for pages, new, events, etc.  However, when I create a translation for a document or image the only option I see is to replace the file. I end up with translated properties and URL, but the file itself is uni-lingual.

Am I missing something?

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Dec-2011 00:00

http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/content-writers-guide/creating-content/uploading-and-editing-documents-and-files/uploading-documents-and-files.aspx

A note at the end of the documentation says:

If you are in multilingual mode, on Documents & Files page, the system displays all available languages next to the document or file. You cannot have different documents or files in different languages, but you can have different titles for each language. To do this, click the Add link of the respective icon.  

This seems really odd to me as it works differently than the translations model used throughout the system.  But it is what it is.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Josh,

Unfortunately for now we do not have any plans for extending the ML support in a way to allow users to upload a separate copy of the image/ file for the localized language. But we will take into consideration your suggestion when planning the new features for 2012 releases.

Kind regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Dec-2011 00:00

@Victor

Bad news! Do you know the pits for this so we can get 1000 votes?

@Josh I ended up with two libraries MyImagesEnglish, MyImagesGerman if they were different. Just make sure you have in MyImagesEnglish only the english version and in MyImagesGerman only a German version.

Because if you have both languages and link to an image the other language will of course take that image.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Markus,

There isn't such a PITS issue logged. We currently do not plan to implement multilingual libraries the way that you mention. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Dec-2011 00:00

Wow.

So no Pits, no votes, no multilinual libraries. Duly noted.

Markus

This thread is closed