Templateimporter installation

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:31

Templateimporter installation

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Dec-2011 00:00

Has anybody been able to install the Templateimporter in v. 4.4 ?
I have now spent 2 days on this, and I'm about to give this up.

Atle

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Atle,

me too. - I spent a lot of hours to search for a solution and I cannot understand that Sitefinity makes it so difficult. - As you  I also only want to use it!

So hopefully anybody at Sitefinity wakes up and will bring an easy going solution for that. - AND: it should work at a multilingual environment like German, Italian and so on.

for now: wait and see what will com .....

Regards, Robert

Hello,

Can you describe the problem that you're experiencing during installation? The required steps are the same as for the previous versions of Sitefinity. Take a look at this forum post for detailed information. In short, all you need to do is to add the Template importer project to your solution (you can find it navigating to SDK->Content->Common ->SharedProjects -> TemplateImporter), add a reference from your Sitefinity project to the Template importer project and then register the Template importer in the backend as shown in the screenshot.

Greetings,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hello Jen,

your hint is very confusing. – At your post, I can find hints from Oct 4, Oct 18, Nov 10 and Nov 18. – So I tried to do it in the version of Nov 18.

I build a new project with project manager 4.4 – then I copied TemplateImporter.sln to the root directory ogf my new project. – Then I made my administration for ApplicationModules without version number as described, logged off, restarted my PC but nothing happened.
My only comment is that I use the german version of SF 4,4 and language pack is only for 4.3. avilable ???
???? If you like it or not, this is NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY !!!!
Regards, Robert

I finally got it working! Don't know how many attempts..
My final solution was to compile the Templateimporter project separately, copy the Templateimporter.dll to the bin folder of my project and register the dll. (I did this several times before without getting it to work, but yesterday it did. Why I dont know).
Then under ApplicationModules this combination workes:
Name: TemplateImporter
Item Title: TemplateImporter
ModuleSettingsDescription: TemplateImporter
Global resource class ID: TemplateImporter.Localization.TemplateImporterResources
Type: TemplateImporter.TemplateImporterModule
StartupType: OnApplicationStart

Atle

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello Atle,

I'm glad that you've managed to install the template Importer successfully. Here's a quick summary of the installation steps:
1. Open your Sitefinity project in Visual Studio
2. Add existing project -> TemplateImporter.csproj
3. Add reference to your Sitefinity project from the TemplateImporter project (which is practically what you did by copying the templateImporter.dll to your Bin)
4. Build the solution.
5. Register the Template Importer in the Backend. (Administration - > System -> ApplicationModules)

All the best,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hello Jen, can you please explain step 3. I do not know you to "add reference ...." Regards, Robert

I did it this way:
1. Open the TemplateImporter project from SDK and build. This creates the Templateimporter.dll. Close project.
2. Open your project and add reference to the newly created TemplateImporter.dll
3. Build your project.
4. Register the TemplateImporter in the backend

Hello,

@Atle, what you did is also correct, but the Template importer project is already available if you got to: SDK -> Content -> Common -> SharedProjects -> TemplateImporter.
@Robert, by referencing I mean when you have your Sitefinity project opened in Visual Studio and the template importer project included to the solution, right-click on Reference -> Add reference -> Projects and choose the Template Importer. This way you allow  Sitefinity to use the TemplateImporter.dll.
Note that after you register the template Importer in the backend you need to restart your application (re-save your web.config) in order to see the changes.

All the best,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello Jen,

now, many hours later I got it for the first time. – Thanks for your support.

@Sitfinity-Developmentteam: This is too difficult for average customers. – I was loosing many hours in exploring how it could run. – It cannot be matter of a customer to download and grab in the SDK to make a simple function running. – So please implement this thing into the next version of  SF 4.5 as “out of the box”. It would increase customer satisfaction a lot. Template builder is a nice intuitive idea and this idea will be destroyed by this horror implemention process!!!

Regards, Robert

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Robert,

The reason why we haven't implemented the Template Importer as well as other useful features that come with the SDK is that we're trying to maintain a certain size of the package, which is important when it comes to deployment. However, I will report your suggestion and the implementation of the Template importer will be put into consideration.

Regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

This thread is closed