No module builder option after upgrade

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:34

No module builder option after upgrade

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi,

I've today updated a second site from 4.3 to 4.4. and this time I don't see the Module Builder option in the Administration menu. How do I put it there?

Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Daniel,

Would you please try the following:
There is a folder called Sitefinity in the "Empty Project" folder. Copy it and overwrite your Sitefinity /bin folder in your project. The service for the Module builder is included in the Empty Project services, but it may be missing from your project, and that is why you are not able to see it.

Regards,

Dimitar Dimitrov
Sitefinity team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hello,

I am really sorry, i meant that you have to overwrite the Sitefinity folder in the root of your project, not the /bin folder.
So here are the steps:
Go to the EmptyProject folder, where your Project manager is located.
Copy the Sitefinity folder from there.
Go to your project folder and paste it there, overwriting the existing Sitefinity folder.

I hope everything is clear.

Regards,

Dimitar Dimitrov
Sitefinity team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Dimitar,
Thanks for your reply.
I've done the steps you adviced (from the 2nd post). Restarted the application but still no item in the Administration Section.

Regards,
Daniel

Hello Daniel,

I would like to know, are you upgrading a fresh new 4.3 site to 4.4, or you previously had 4.2 or 4.1 site, which you upgraded ( for example you had 4.1, then you upgraded to 4.2 and then to 4.3 and now you try to upgrade to 4.4)

Greetings,

Dimitar Dimitrov
Sitefinity team

Hello Dimitar,

The website was initial installed with 4.3.1733. Then I upgraded to:

4.3.2019 (-> this was an internal build, needed for an urgent multilingual fix)

Regards,
Daniel

Hello Daniel,

I tried upgrading using the following path 4.2.1733 -> 4.3.1885 -> 4.3.2019 -> 4.4.2117 but I'm not able to reproduce the problem - I see the Module Builder in the Administration menu. Can you you tell me what license are you using? Any additional information would be helpful, thank you in advance.

Greetings,
Petya
the Telerik team

Well, it is just a standard edition license.
I had to execute a fix directly into the database because after upgrading from 4.3.2019 to 4.4.1117 I couldn't add or delete users anymore, but that was it. (see ticket).

Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello Daniel,

Could you check in your Backend Pages -> Templates if there is a third template named HTML5 Backend Template? If not - execute this code somewhere to install it:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    var pageManager = PageManager.GetManager();
    var taxonomyManager = TaxonomyManager.GetManager();

var nodeId = SiteInitializer.BackendTemplatesCategoryId;
    var node = taxonomyManager.GetTaxon<HierarchicalTaxon>(nodeId);
    TemplateInitializer templateInitializer = new TemplateInitializer(pageManager);
    templateInitializer.InvokeMethod(SiteInitializer.BackendHtml5TemplateId, node, 2);

pageManager.SaveChanges();

Then modify your SystemConfig.config under <applicationModules> to have these elements:

<add title="ModuleTitle" description="ModuleDescription" resourceClassId="DynamicModuleResources" moduleId="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.DynamicModules.DynamicModuleModule" startupType="OnApplicationStart" name="DynamicModule" />
<add title="ModuleTitle" description="ModuleDescription" resourceClassId="ModuleBuilderResources" moduleId="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.DynamicModules.Builder.ModuleBuilderModule" startupType="OnApplicationStart" name="ModuleBuilder" />

Touch the web.config and that should trigger the installation of the missing modules.

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jan-2012 00:00

I'm having the same issue with one particular project (another project upgraded no problem). I am also unable to compile the code snippet you included. Perhaps I got one of the namespaces wrong, these are the namespaces I added to you code snippet:

using Telerik.Sitefinity;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Taxonomies;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Taxonomies.Model;

One other thing I noticed is the upgrade added the 'DynamicModules' folder to 'Sitefinity/Services' but the folder was not added to the Visual Studio project. I right clicked the folder to add it..

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello David,

What kind of error do you get when you try to compile the code? If there are some other missing namespaces could you try adding those?

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi,
I've experienced the exact same issue.
I had a SF4.3.1885 site and i upgraded to SF4.4.2117 and i had no module builder option.
What is realized finally was that there was some upgrade error with the DB. here is a way you can recreate this error (i managed to recreate it this way):
upgrade a site, than change the DB to a different 4.3.1885 DB (i just restored a PROD backup over the DB). you would expect the DB to get upgraded - and it does, but no module builder.

another way:
i upgraded a site, deleted the Embedded Resource statements from AssemblyInfo - and when i ran the site i got an error of course - so i fixed the statements ran again, the site was upgraded but no module builder.

finally i just checked out from my SVN the 4.3.1885 project version - to take all sitefinity files from the older version with my second 4.3.1885 DB image, fixed all references and other upgrade issues before running the site - and then module builder appeared.

Lev.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jan-2012 00:00

I confirm previous message:
If you upgrade site and restore database after this (DB from the previous version) the DB is not get upgraded correctly. Or if I upgrade site locally and copy all files to the production (bins, config, etc) the production data base is not getting updated correctly.

Regarding the following instructions:
http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/installation-and-administration-guide/upgrading-sitefinity-projects.aspx
When the production environment is merged with upgraded you shouldn't include configuration files:

Package the upgraded website without the configuration files from ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration.
Do not include the locally upgraded database.

I think that if the reason. The upgrade logic checks the configuration files first and if they are already upgraded it decides that the database is upgraded as well.

Sitefinity team, please confirm if I'm right.

Thanks,
Denis.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello,

Thank you for investigating this. We will take into consideration you findings when improving the module builder for the next versions.

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

Problem Occurs When Class Library Projects are Not Upgraded Properly

In my case the problem was occuring only on Sitefinity applications that used widgets that were created in class libraries. In my case I did not upgrade my class libraries properly. I was still able to log into the Sitefinity backoffice, but the module builder was missing.  Here is how I fixed it.

The key is that all of your class libraries need to be properly upgraded to 4.4. In my case I tried to upgrade the class libraries by copying the Sitefinity 4.4 dll's to the bin directory of my class libraries. This doesn't work and will result in them being overwritten by the previous Sitefinity versions dll's the next time you do a re-build. The reason is, when you add a reference to a class library by browsing, the next time you do a rebuild Visual Studio will re-copy the dll's from the location you originally added it from. This actually makes it very easy to update your class libraries to the new version of Sitefinity. All you have to do is copy the Siteifnity 4.4 dll's to the same folder location you originally added them from.

Before upgrading to 4.4

These are the exact steps I followed that worked for me. If you already already upgraded your project, you may be able to use a variation of the following steps.

1. Copy the Sitefinity 4.3 Dependencies folder from c:\Program Files\Telerik\Sitefinity 4.3\SDK\Content\Common\Dependencies to the same folder that contains the Sitefinity web application. Not in the Sitefinity web application folder. Example:

Projects
   CompanyWebSolution
      Dependencies (folder copied from the SDK)
      NewsRotator (contains class library that contains a custom news rotator widget)
      CompanySitefinityWebApp (contains the Sitefinity Web Application)

2. From Visual Studio, expand the NewsRotator project.

3. From the NewsRotator project in Visual Studio, expand the references folder.

4. Right click and delete all of the Telerik references.

5. Add the references back by browsing to the Dependencies folder and selecting the appropriate dll's

6. Rebuild all of the Visual Studio projects in the solution.

7. Run the Sitefinity application to make sure it's still working.

8. Reboot the computer (probably not necessary)

9. Upgrade the Sitefinity application using the Project Manager.

10. Delete the files in the Dependencies folder (the one in the same folder as the Sitefinity application). You can skip this step if you prefer to overwrite the files.

11. Copy the contents of the Sitefinity 4.4 Dependencies folder from c:\Program Files\Telerik\Sitefinity 4.4\SDK\Content\Common\Dependencies into the Dependencies folder whose contents you just deleted.

12. Rebuild your application and you should be good to go.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Mar-2012 00:00

We faced the same issue and fixed it by following these steps:

1-      Backup the solution
2-      Delete the SystemConfig.config from the App_Data/Sitefintiy/Configuration
3-      Edit the DataConfig.config and set the Initialized to False
4-      Restart the application

I hope this helps.

This thread is closed