Module Builder Data Permissions

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 13:04

Module Builder Data Permissions

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello,

How do you limit data being displayed on a front end page module builder control to a specific user? I would like users the ability to upload/download files but only see and interact with items they have created.

Thanks,
John S.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting us.

You can achieve this by setting the permissions of the module. Go to "Permissions" of the dynamic module and there you can set View, Create, Modify, Delete, Change owner and Change permissions settings according to your needs.

Greetings,
Kristian Smilenov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello Kristian,

This doesn't seem to take care of what I need. I 'can' set permissions for someone to view or not view for example. But I can't seperate data per user.

For example, I need from a non Back-End user to be able to upload a file to the users specific page, seeing only their files. There could be 100 users that need to see seperate pages. It is not practical to built a new module for each user.

Perhaps I miss the intention of the module. Is the module only intended for Backend users?

Thanks,
John

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi John,

No, the dynamic modules are normal modules, and they are not intended for Backend users only. Actually the difference between Backend and Frontend users is the permissions they have. So when you create a user you just tick if you want him to have access to Backed.

I sincerely apologize about my previous reply, but now that i have made a deeper research it turned out that permissions for items is not supported yet for dynamic content items but will be soon. And the permissions of the dynamic module I told you about are for the backend only.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact us/me.

All the best,
Kristian Smilenov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Apr-2013 00:00

Kristian,

You mentioned on a post that permissions for dynamic content items will be supported soon. Do you have any idea of when?
I am being asked to add this feature to the  5.3 version. Do you have any idea how i can implement this?

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Apr-2013 00:00

Hello,

Since we introduced Hierarchical modules for the 5.1 Module Builder release, now  there are two sets of permissions - one for the Module (the original permissions set) and one for each Content type.

The global permissions for the module are located in Administration->Permissions->YourModule in the left-hand menu.

And for each content type you can go to Content->YourContentType and in the right-hand menu click on Permissions - there you can set the permissions per item type (by default we have them set to Administrators only).

Regarding permissions per item level we have a feature request logged in PITS. Hopefully this will be added soon in a future release. If you want to implement it you need to override many classes depending on your exact requirements. However this has never been tried or tested so we could not guaranty it would work.

Kind regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jun-2014 00:00

www.telerik.com/.../pits.aspx

Was that PITS ever implemented/chosen?

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jun-2014 00:00

Hi Wagner,

Currently the mentioned Feature Request is still Open, you can find it on its new location here (feedback.telerik.com/.../98997-module-builder-granular-permissions-for-dynamic-content). As a workaround you can apply the solution the team has prepared and documented on our GitHub here (github.com/.../dynamic-module-view-granular-permissions)

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed