Dealing with the language selector

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:18

Dealing with the language selector

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi all,

I've a question about the language selector.
Suppose you have the following structure on your website:

Home page
News page
-- News detail page

I placed a language selector on my master page.

When I have a news item on my default english page, I could have something like this in the url: mywebsite.com/.../

When this news item is not translated, there is a problem when I navigate to the dutch version of this page. The language selector generates the following urls for both the languages:

EN: mywebsite.com/.../
NL: mywebsite.com/.../

So, this result in an error.

How should I deal with this?

Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi,

Can you try turning on the Fallback on your news widget? It is responsible for loading the default language translation of an item if there is no translation for the current culture. You can do this by the designer of the widget, then Advanced >> ControlDefinition >> Views >> NewsFrontentList and set the ItemLanguageFallback property to true.

Greetings,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2013 00:00

Hi,

We are having the same issue with news. We tried to set the fallback property to true, but it did not help. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Igor

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2013 00:00

Hello Igor,

In your ticket information I saw that your Sitefinity version is 4.4.2117, am I right. I tried to set up the environment as described in the previous reply but I could not reproduce the problem locally. 
In my case, when i had a news item (detail view) opened and tried to change the language, it was redirecting me to the list view of the translated news (i.e. the fallback is working).
Could you please explain us in more details what is the scenario (and the setup of the widgets) in which you have problems and also to tell us which version of Sitefinity are you using, so we could try reproducing  the problem again and hopefully offer you a solution.

Regards,
Ivan
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed