4.4 seems unstable

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 04:48

4.4 seems unstable

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jan-2012 00:00

I had problems with my upgrade, so it could be that.  Is there anyway to tell if my system is installed properly or not?

I am new with sitefinity and with all the issues 4.x has had, I don't know if the problems I am having are known issues, I am doing something wrong with the implementation of a widget, or it is a bug.

The latest problem is that I can't reset a password.  If I go to the Admin User Page and click on the reset password button, nothing seems to happen.

The login widget (both forgot and reset password) links also do nothing.
Is this a bug or did I not implement something properly?
Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2012 00:00

Dear Tom

Maybe Telerik changed the way password reset works. It used to be that the new password would be shown when you clicked as admin in users on reset password.

Maybe they changed it that the admin does not see the password anymore and a mail is sent to the user (still would have to test that). Then if you did not set up your smtp nothing would happen.

If this change has been implemented it would be nice if we get a message (the new password has been sent to the user  - I could have been missing such an message)

Markus

well, i hope they have not hidden it, because if you dont have SMTP set up, then how will you see the new password? I hope the admin can still see the new password.
Andrei

I am the Admin and know my password,  It is one of the users.  This is a new site and we just have it to a point that we are ready to start adding some real content. SMTP was setup and seemed to be working for 4.2. 

As of Sitefinity 4.4 you have to setup the password reset function. 4.3 and below had default settings and just worked as long as SMTP was setup. You not have to go to Advanced Settings --> Security --> Membership Providers --> Default --> Parameters and set enablePasswordReset to true and recoveryMailAddress to a valid email address.

This will make your 'Forgot your password?' link on the login and the 'reset password' button on the users screen work.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2012 00:00

@Mark
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. When you were logged in as admin you could reset a password.

- Choose the user and click on reset password. Then you would see the new password.

I will test if a password is sent to me when I click reset password as admin for a TEST USER (make sure to use a test account when testing. Otherwise you might reset your admin password but have wrong smtp settings and then you are in trouble :-))

@Telerik
Can you confirm that there was a change in functionality on the Reset Password Button and how it is supposed to work?

Markus

Hello,

Please excuse us for the inconvenience caused. Actually we have introduced some changes in this functionality since the Sitefinity 4.4 release for security improvements. If you want to enable the password reset functionality you'll need to go to Advanced settings and edit the Default MembershipProvider parameter enablePasswordReset, which is set to flase by default. please set it to true, and also configure defaultSenderAddress to a valid email address which Sitefinity will use when sending the password reset email. Aside from that, you'll need to perform the regular SMTP settings so the application can actually send emails. Once you've got everything configured you might need to recycle your application pool, to make sure the new configuration is read, an you should have the new password displayed in the User profile screen just like it used to in previous versions

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Boyan
Thank's a lot for the update. I think it would be nice if you click on the button and have not set these settings to get an alert.

You need to .........

At the moment I have various places to set mail.settings

E-Mail Campains
-> in Settings Basic

Password retrival
-> Settings - Advanced - Membership Provider - Default - Parameters - recoveryMailAddress (I sure hope to remember this on my next project -> maybe move to basic)

SMTP Settings
-> Settings - Advanced - System - SMTP Settings
I guess these are used for every thing else but Newsletter and Password retrival.

Somehow I would love to have everything SMTP/Mail related at one place.

In addition settings - advance Login has direct settings related to the theme of security.
I assume when you have hashed password ShowForgetPasswordLinkInLoginForm should be unchecked automatically. What's the point of having a forgot your password to be told that hashed password can not be retrieved :-)

Once Again thanks a whole heap for your quick answer

@Mark
Sorry I was a bit confused
This will make your 'Forgot your password?' link on the login and the 'reset password' button on the users screen work.
UNQUOTE
I thought it made the Forgot your password link visible as well. I was wondering why I saw the link but it did not work :-)

It's all clear once you know the answers.

Thanks Markus

>> Somehow I would love to have everything SMTP/Mail related at one place.
And allow you to put in multiple, in the order of relevance, and test each configuration with a test email.   PLEASE!!!!

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

I have turned on the retrieve password and reset password. 
I got a change to test it this evening and click on the "Forgot you password" link on the login widget.  It now comes up with a screen asking me for my user name.  I put in the user name and click submit.  I get the following error:

Cannot retrieve Hashed password.

Now what?

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

With a hashed password you need to set Retrieve Password to false and Reset Password to true.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Sep-2012 00:00

Guys,
When I go to Administration -> Users -> [Some User] -> Reset password I do not see the new password. I remember it used to appear on a yellow background panel, but now it does not. I am using Sitefinity 5.1.
How do I get to see the new password? I do not use SMTP to email the password. Hope you can help.
Many thanks,
Andrei

Andrei, 
In my experience, sometimes this can happen if the user is locked out.  In order to reset the password, you must first unlock the user by going into the database, specifically the sf_users table. There is a column called is_locked_out.  If the value is TRUE, then unlock the user by setting it to FALSE.  You should also set the last_lockout_date to NULL just to be safe :-).  After you make these changes, you should see the password when you go to Administration -> Users -> [Some User] -> Reset password.  Hope that helps!

Christine,
Thanks, but it did not resolve it. The settings are you say but, it does not work. I click the Reset password button and after the confirmation dialog, the button disappears and no password.
Very strange,
Andrei

This thread is closed