Display blogs from one SF site in another SF site?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:48

Display blogs from one SF site in another SF site?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello!
Hopefully a quick question here...  I have a SF4.x site with blogs created using the blog widget.  Is there a means to display those same blog links in a different SF4.x site?  I'd prefer the solution to be a SF widget of sorts, but third-party options are not out of the question.

If so, how might that be done?

Thank you,
Mike

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2012 00:00

Mike, I can see two ways to do this: you can add a custom provider for your blogs that uses a connection string to the alternate site. this method is discussed in these posts:

Sharing Content Across Multiple Sites
Multiple providers for news, generic content

Alternatively you can use the RSS feed for the blogs. With this you can create a widget that reads this feed and displays the content on the other site.

The first option makes the external blog appear as if it is part of the site. In other words you would see both the list of blog posts and read them from the second site as if they were natively part of it.

The RSS option will allow you to just link to the external blog directly just like showing twitter links or something like that.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful! Let me know if I misunderstood your question or can be of any more help

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

@SelAromDotNet

Thanks for your help!  Looks like I have a few good solutions here.  I like the RSS idea best for its simplicity so I'll give that a shot first and see how it goes.

Much appreciated,
Mike

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi,

I have attached a sample video concerning the first option mentioned from SelAromDotNet. The video is for news, but the approach is valid for all modules in Sitefinifty.

1.Create a connection string (I have taken the default connection string from default provider and changed the DB name)

2. Create new provider for news (I have copied the fields from the default provider and added a new name).

3. Add applicationName parameter that will take the news form /News if the other database is Sitefinity

4. Add another connectionString parameter with key:connectionString and Value: Name of the connection string from step 1.

5. Restart the pplication to see if you get the new news provider in Content->News as shown in the video.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2012 00:00

Thanks for the reply Stanislav.  I really like this method now that I see how simple it is to implement.  Since both sites are hosted from the same server it makes better sense.

I think that's the way we'll go rather then using an rss feed.

Thanks,
Mike

This thread is closed