Default homepage changes

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:18

Default homepage changes

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2012 00:00

Good day,

We have just started using Sitefinity and have noticed any interesting problem. We have many users assigned to various roles we have made.  What is happening is when a user edits their portion of our web site it will change that page to the default homepage automatically. The user can only see and edit their particular page by rights we have assigned.  I have logged in as various users and noticed this to be true.  The new default homepage now is reflected on our live web site so is constently changing  depending on who has last edited a web page. Needless to say this is causing quite a problem for end users. For now only administrators who have rights to the entire site are editing as they are not affected with the homepage changing.

Thanks
Rob

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello,

Can you send me the exact steps of how this problem is reproduced? What permissions exactly have you assigned to your custom roles? I tested this by setting the View/Edit permissions of the HomePage to administrators only and then logged in with an Author. When I created a page it wasn't set as a Home Page. 
Please try reproducing the behaviour on a blank project and send me the exact steps, so I can be able to test it here too.

All the best,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

Good day Svetoslav,
  User x will login into Sitefinity. When logged in and goes to pages user will only see the root page and its sub sections for them, permissions do not allow them to edit any page except the one in their subsection, and will find their approriate page in the appropriate sub section. I have attached an image to show the layout. The image of the file/page structure is a small portion of the entire site. In this case the user can edit the ISSO page and all its subsections. When the user edits any page that they have the rights to, that page then becomes the default home page. This occurs for all users who are not admin and all sections sub sections of the entire web site. I have attached a picture of the rights the role has that the user is added to. I have tried changing any item that had admin only to the role but it made no difference.

Forgot to mention we are using IE 7, cannot update browser, and Sitefinity 4.3.1885.0

Thanks for the help
Rob

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi,

Have you tested the behaviour with another browsers? Could it be IE that is causing the issue, as I've tested with multiple browsers and no such problem was caused. Also, in the pages structure - where exactly is your home page located? Is there a chance that you could open a support ticket and send me the credentials for your backend, so I can get a better picture of your whole structure and try to reproduce the issue on my local project, as well, or just try to reproduce it on a blank project and send me the exact steps? Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Svetoslav,
   I have not tried it with any other browser as we are locked in with IE 7 and cannot use any other browser. I cannot even have any other browser installed on my computer.  The default Home Page is at the same level as the top one in the photo. In this case the user logs in and has right to edit the ISSO  file and below. If the user edits any of these pages they then become the default Home Page for the entire site. This is the same for all users so not particular to this user or page. We have upgraded to 4.4 and the issue still exists. 

Thanks
Rob

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello,

I tried reproducing this issue with the same structure as from the picture you sent and there was no problem neither with IE 7, nor with any other browser. Can you please try reproducing this on a blank project and send me the steps, because maybe I'm missing something. If the issue cannot be reproduced on a blank project, then this means that it is case-specific and you may have to open a support ticket and send me backend cretendials, so I can inspect what might be causing it.

Greetings,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Svetoslav,
    I finally figured out what my problem was. It was the permissions I had for the default home page. I had it so everyone could view it but explicitly denied certain roles so they could not see it when they logged in. I am guessing because it did not appear to be there , for that user, Sitefinity figured there was no home page so assigned the one they were editing as the home page. I set the default home page so all can view it and not deny any role/user, then just admin can do the rest of the options in the permissions list. This solved the problem.
Thanks
Rob

This thread is closed