Is it possible to manually upgrade to 4.4 and bypass the Pro

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 17:05

Is it possible to manually upgrade to 4.4 and bypass the Program Manager

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2012 00:00

The Program Manager is not upgrading all of the components it should, for instance none of the configuration files are being upgraded. Is there a set of manual steps I can perform that would allow me to bypass the Program Manager. Also, is there a log file that shows what was upgraded as well as any steps that failed in the upgrade process.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2012 00:00

Should the following work.

1. Upgrade the Sitefinity application to 4.4
2. Backup the Sitefinity database.
3. Delete the Sitefnity application that was upgraded.
4. Recreate the Sitefinity application from scratch using version 4.4
5. Modify the database connection to point the database that was upgraded in step 1.

That is something I once wanted to do. The problem that I ncountered was that Sitefinity saves everything in the database. So by recreating the WebApp again, it wont make much difference. So because I was in the early stages of development, I actually threw the database away and started everything anew. I know that this might not be an option fro you.

My understanding is this, the upgrade function only replaces the DLL files in the Bin folder and that's it. It does not really touch the Database at all. The database is then changed as you run the application. I might be wrong, but if I am right, then you would not achieve much by keeping the database.

Let see if Telerik agrees...

I tried it and it did not work. It wouldn't let log in to the back end and when browsing the front end I got the message that no pages had been created yet.

Can I please get a confirmation from Telerik that upgrading through the Program Manager only replaces dll files? One of the problems I'm encountering is that the configuration files are not being updated. At one point most of the configuration files were being updated but now none are. Maybe it was because I rebooted my computer prior to upgrading, I don't know. At this point it seems my only option is to re-created the site and re-create the content and configurations from scratch.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi David,

Once you hit the upgrade button the project manager replaces the dlls of your project with the new ones. Then when firstly browsing the site, the upgrade scripts are initiated, upgrading your database and files. However if you are upgrading on local environment, please make sure that the site is running perfectly prior to upgrading, because if you lack some permissions or it is not set properly, the upgrade process will be corrupted.

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed