Search index strorage

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 10:21

Search index strorage

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jan-2012 00:00

I created a site on IP 1.1.1.1 with a DB on server 3.3.3.3

I created an index loging in under 1.1.1.1/sitefinity and indexed the site

Now the site is finished.

I downlaod all content from 1.1.1.1 (site) and publish to 2.2.2.2 (site) still connecting to the same DB on 3.3.3.3

Now the search still works but results will point to 1.1.1.1 pages. After rebuilding the index on 2.2.2.2/sitefinity the results point correctly to 2.2.2.2 pages.

(IP Adresses as example instead of urls)

So the questions are
a) where are the indexed results saved
b) when the pages are indexed is it needed to index to url as well
c) Do I simply have to remember to rebuild the indexes manually when moving from stating to production for example.
d) Did I once again find a strange way to publish/develop?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Markus,

For our search index functionality we use Lucene, which will create the search indexes in a physical folder under ~/App_Data/Sitefinity. The index will also preserve the information about the "default page where X is published", and each time you re-index the old index files are being replaced with the new ones, which might explain why you had references to the old domain before re-indexing the published site. So to answer your last question, no, you are publishing your site normally, I guess like more than 90% of us do it.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2012 00:00

Dear Boyan
Thanks for the answers.
But this would actually mean that once published I must manually restart the index to get the new URL correct since it seems the search result save the urls.

Would it not make more sense to save the PageID and then get the corresponding URL for that. Like that I would not have to reindex after moving a page from statging, testing to production.

I would also assume that now when you have a site reachable by www.mydomainA.com and www.mydomainB.com if you index under www.mydomainA.com and then access the page under www.mydomainB.com an make a search the search results would take you back to page www.mydomainA.com

Is this correct?
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Markus,

We are persisting the page ID when you configure the search index, however when the actual indexing is done the URL is resolved and kept in the index (as it would be faster not to resolve it on searching, but have it ready beforehand) - this is why when you reindex the page ID gets properly resolved for the new URL and the returned results are correct.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2012 00:00

Dear Boyan

Thank's for the feedback. Bottom line is I need to reindex on the new server/domain when moving from staging, testing to production.

I will keep that in mind

PS: when I change 1 page out of 100 will the whole index be recreated or just the index for this page.
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Markus,

From a performance point of view, recreating the whole index will be slowing down the whole publishing process, so we're modifying just the corresponding item in the index.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2012 00:00

I am trying to re-index a site that has gone live and get this error:

\Inetpub\x\App_Data\Sitefinity\Search\x\segments.gen

This is an urgent issue.  It is extremely bad that the search index stores absolute URLs to development pages.

This thread is closed