How to set page meta-description from single news item summa

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 17:49

How to set page meta-description from single news item summary

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Feb-2012 00:00

When viewing a single news item, the title of the page is automatically set to the title of the news item being viewed.  I'd like to also set the meta-description of the page to the summary of the news item...
     <meta name="description" content="news item summary" />

Can this be done within the Sitefinity UI, or do I need to write code?  Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated (I'm a Sitefinity newbie).

I'm running Sitefinity v4.3.1885.0.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello,

This feature is not yet available in Sitefinity. Here you can read more about it:
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/suggestions/seo-fields-for-news-and-blog-items.aspx 

All the best,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2012 00:00

Hi, this page links to nothing and I am trying to find out how this would work.  If we need to alter our news item, that's fine, but do you have any advise on how to do that? We need to have the Tags, and Summary pulled into the header meta tags for SEO.  Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2012 00:00

Hi Jason,

This still has not become a fully supported feature in Sitefinity, however, you can link to the code behind in your widget and programmatically add it to your page.

In the header put this

<asp:PlaceHolder id="MetaPlaceHolder" runat="server" />

and in the code behind 

HtmlMeta meta = new HtmlMeta();
meta.Name = "description";
meta.Content = "MyNewsSummaryString";
MetaPlaceHolder.Controls.Add(meta);

Let me know if you have any questions.
Greetings,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed