MSMQ and Load Balancing

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:50

MSMQ and Load Balancing

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Feb-2012 00:00

I'm having cache update issues in our load balanced environment. I have a two node balance scenario. Only one server's back end is being updated. Node 1 (the configuration node) receives the update, node 2 does not. I believe the issue is related to MSMQ not being configured. I've searched the support forums and found two posts relating to this issue;

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/developing-with-sitefinity/caching-issues-across-multiple-servers.aspx 
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/developing-with-sitefinity/can-t-get-load-balancing-to-work.aspx 

Both of which say I need to install MSMQ, but neither of which explain what to install specifically. Do I need http support (I assume so). Does the router need to be installed?
Do I need to install it on one server specifically, or all servers?
The MSMQ configuration is also not mentioned in any install document I've run across.
Does anyone have any detailed instructions on this?

Thanks for any help.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Kerry,

We have just replied to the support thread you had open on the issue, you can check our response there, and for your convenience I'm pasting it below as well:

Support for MSMQ in load balanced environment is a new feature and we are still making test. Excuse us for the inconvenience as we still need to develop detailed user documentation on setting it up.

In case when MSMQ appears the only option, in order to configure it forst activate MSMQ on the server (it is not activated by default). The MSMQ is only one and enter the endpoint address in Administration->Settings->Advanced->System->Load Balancing->MSMQ settings and the load balancing will work.
The endpoint may need to enter urls to the other servers to activate load balancing (MSMQ needs to know which are the servers used and what is their address). When one server is found the load balancing is started.

Here are the steps to active MSMQ:

1. Refer to MQSMQ_Enable.png. Enable MSMQ as windows feature
2. Refer to MSMQ_CreateQ.png. Right click MyComputer and select manage under Services and Applications MSMQ will appear. Create new Public or Private Queue.
3. Edit the properties of the Queue as in screenshot MSMQ_Properties.

To register the endpoint in Sitefinity Administration->Settings->Advanced->System->Load Balancing->MSMQ and the format is msmq.formatname:DIRECT=TCP:machineName\private$\queueName
Replace machineName and queueName with yours.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Oct-2013 00:00

Was your issue resoved after configuring MSMQ ?

We are facing the same issue and we were about to try configuring the MSMQ so wanted to make sure if it has actually worked. Please let me know.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2014 00:00

Is there any updated documentation on this feature?  What advantages does it have?  How to configure it?  Could we point it to an arbitrary MSMQ and handle messages in custom applications?

Posted by Community Admin on 01-May-2014 00:00

Hi Gary,

Please note that currently we do not officially support the MSSQ based cache invalidation since this is an experimental implementation. By default Sitefinity uses webservice calls in order to invalidate the cache on the other servers. So, the server where the changes are made notifies the other servers using an http based service calls.

You may refer to the following documentation article on how you can run Sitefinity in load balanced environment.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed