Public site with regional content

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:17

Public site with regional content

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi,

I'm creating a public website where a user can click on a map to select a region they're in. The user does not log in but content should still be filtered based on the location they have clicked. I'm not trying to do localization with this, I really want to filter the content.

Example: I set up 4 news items with a taxonomy that includes a North America region and 2 news items with a taxonomy that includes a Europe region. A user browses to the site and they select North America as their location. I store the information (in a cookie or session state or whatever I come up with) and use it to filter the available news content to only display the items with the North America taxonomy.

I tried looking for a solution but there's not a lot of information that I can find. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is trying to do this, but I need some help in getting this going. I'm not even sure if taxonomy is the correct way to go so if there's another way, feel free to make suggestions.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi,

Thank you for using our services. You can easily achieve the desired functionality by passing in a URL parameter that will filter by the specified classification. By default all Sitefinity ContentView controls use URL parameters to filter the displayed content, for example if you have a NewsView control (News widget) on your page and pass to the URL of the page www.domain.com/.../myTag only news items which have the myTag tag assigned to them will be displayed. In other words you could implement some logic where you preserve the tag value (for example in Session) when the user selects a location on your map and then append the /-in-Tags/ parameter to the requested URL of the page where you have News widget.

I hope you find the above information useful. please do not hesitate to get back to me if you need some additional information or have any additional questions.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed