Can I upgrade from 4.1 1339 to 5.0?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:11

Can I upgrade from 4.1 1339 to 5.0?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Mar-2012 00:00

Would I be able to upgrade straight from 4.1 to 5.0? That sounds like a big jump. If I need to upgrade to another version first, I'd like to find out.

Eric,

You can only go from 4.3 or 4.4 to 5.0, therefore you'd have to do successive upgrades until you are on 4.3 or 4.4 before going for 5.

That doesn't sound too bad. Can I go from 4.1 to 4.4, then? Or do I have to upgrade to 4.3 first?

It is my understanding that it's best to go through each iterative update to get to 4.4,

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Eric,

In order to ensure that your project is properly upgraded, you may need to go through the major editions of Sitefinity 4.x before going to 5.0, due to the fact that in each version of Sitefinity there are significant changes, which if skipped, can break some of modules / functionality of the system. What I can suggest you is to go through 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 before upgrading to 5.0.

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Victor,

Wouldn't skipping the 4.4 upgrade be a good idea, to avoid the content block corruption bug (trailing br tag added)? Although it's still unclear whether 5.0 fixes this issue.
SF 4.2 SP1 also broke img tags, for the record.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Thomas,

There were major changes in Sitefinity 4.4 as well as a lot new functionality introduced so I would not recommend skipping it, despite the <br> tag in the content block that was found. As you know there are several workarounds for this bug, until we get it fixed.

Kind regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

@Victor
Telerik clearly stats that you can upgrade from the 4.3 and 4.4. So I would expect skipping 4.4 should not be a problem

Imagin how much work it is to take a 4.0 site up to 5.0. This is if you test the in between steps.

Markus

For clarity: I initially thought the br tag bug modified your database data as you upgrade your site, but the br tag is appended during display only (ie: the data in the database is not corrupted, and left as is).

Therefore, it doesn't matter whether you skip 4.4 or not. And besides, the bug is not fixed in 5.0. But as Markus said, upgrading from 4.3 to 5.0 should work flawlessly, as officially stated by the Telerik team. If despite these claims there are known issues when upgrading from 4.3 to 5.0, then please let us know ASAP, because my team plans to do such upgrades soon.

Hello,

Upgrading to 5.0 is indeed supported from 4.3, and this way the process works flawlessly. Mostly it is a matter of personal choice ( and free time ) to decide whether you want to go through 4.4 or not. However, you can be sure that upgrading from 4.3 to 5.0 is supported as stated in our documentation.

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed