Can we use asp.net ajax 2012

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:44

Can we use asp.net ajax 2012

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi,

can we use asp.net ajax 2012 with sintefinity 5.0?
We have full access to Telerik Ultimate Collection.
I know that with Sitefinity 5. the ASP.net Ajax is still q3 2011.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello,

We decided to update the RadControls to the latest Q1 2012 with the next Service Pack. You are right that currently the version with Sitefinity 5.0 is Q3 2011.  

If you have a license for the ASP.NET AJAX Suite you can download and replace the Telerik.Web.UI.dll, Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.xml from the bin folder of the Sitefinity Web Application with the latest dll-s from the ASP.NET AJAX Suite, however Sitefinity is tested for stability with a version of the RadControls that doesn`t cause problems so it will remain the officially supported version.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,
Veronica Milcheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Mar-2012 00:00

Ok,

i do the test. But with no luck.I get alwas error that assambly from 2011 could not find, when i will start the webpage. I have build the project new. But i have no luck :(

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Mar-2012 00:00

@Sitefinty: May I remind you that one year ago you promised to your customers that each new SF release rollout would come in synch with the latest version of Telerik RAD components. And now: is this a fallback to these early days??? ;-(((( Regards, Robert

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Robert,

Since the release was shifted earlier, honestly we didn't have enough time to change the controls and test against the new version.
You can still use them, regardless of the version. Replace the assemblies and do the binding redirect statements in the web.config, so that the system references the new assemblies rather than the old ones. 

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2012 00:00

So, just to be clear...That means we can use ANY version of RadControls with SiteFinity 4.4?  I'm not exactly sure how to accomplish the binding redirects in web.config you mentioned (yet), so I just want to make sure I understand your reply before going further and figuring out how to do that.  

Hey TMatt,

MVP Steve, aka 'McAwesome', already did a post on it, you can check it here on his site. It describes exactly how to do it without running into version conflicts. 

Jochem

Like a boss

A little off topic, but this is my humble request that McAwesome and Jochem blog more!

I subscribe to both of your blogs and learn quite a bit from both of them. I appreciate you guys!

I followed the advice in the article, but I'm still unable to get it to work.  I must be doing something wrong when adding the runtime assembly binding redirects to web.config as I get a 500 error.  

I'm a little fuzzy on what assemblies I need to override, too. I added redirects for Telerik.Web.UI, Telerik.Web.Design and Telerik.Web.Skins.  I wasn't sure about Telerik.Web.Design, but I still can't get past the 500 error.

Paste the error and the binding code

The error is just a generic 500 - Internal Server Error.  I also tried seting old version to the exact version in the bin dir of the project, but I got the same results. I've also tried binding Telerik.Web.Design in addition to the two below and also binding ONLY Telerik.Web.UI.  I recycle the app pool and restart the site each time I edit web.config too.

<runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
        <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Telerik.Web.UI" publicKeyToken="121fae78165ba3d4" culture="neutral"/>
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-65535.65535.65535.65535" newVersion="2012.1.411.40"/>
        </dependentAssembly>
        <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Telerik.Web.UI.Skins" publicKeyToken="121fae78165ba3d4" culture="neutral"/>
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-65535.65535.65535.65535" newVersion="2012.1.411.40"/>
        </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
</runtime>

Posted by Community Admin on 18-May-2012 00:00

I got past the 500 error, now I'm getting this

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.Design, Version=2012.1.411.40, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Posted by Community Admin on 18-May-2012 00:00

I realized my basic mistake... seems like it's working now

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2012 00:00

And what was your Basic mistake ?

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2012 00:00

The root cause of my problem was where I was placing the assembly binding redirects in web.config.... and then forgetting to include Telerik.Web.Design in the binding redirects once I put them in the right place.  So, including assembly binding redirects in the proper place in web.config for Telerik.Web.UI, Telerik.Web.UI.Skins and Telerik.Web.Design solved my problem.  I'm now able to use Q1 2012 RadControls in my SiteFinity 4.4 installation.

This thread is closed