Maximum user limit reached for two users - backend and nonbackend - when using the same browser, works with different browsers (Small business edition)
This is interesting,
I have small business edition of Sitefinity and I tried a scenario where I got one backend user and another user in role 'Users'.
With single browser (Chrome) where I had already backend user logged in and I tried to log in with user from role 'Users' (non backend user) via standard login control, I got a message 'max simultaneous users reached..'
But when I took IE the login with user from 'Users' was successful, and I suppose this is intended behavior, because the limitation is valid only for backend users, right?
So the first scenario seems like a bug?
And I'm using forms auth. since I didn't manage to get claims get working yet
We know about such a problem and it is logged as a bug, although it is not so critical since usually different users log from browsers on different computers. Clearing the browser cookies can currently help if you want to evaluate the product with different type of users in the same browser/computer. Thank you for pointing that to us. Generally our limitation is only for backend users(and administrators) and anything that restricts non-backend users logins can be considered as a bug.
All the best,
the Telerik team
thanks for confirming it is not an intended behavior. Indeed it can by bypassed, but I think it is good to have it here in forum, so that other people who run into this can find an answer.