Configuring the news widget shouldn't be this difficult!

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 04:39

Configuring the news widget shouldn't be this difficult! Or should it?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Mar-2012 00:00

Ok,

I currently have a support ticket open for this, but I don't seem to be able to elicit a response that actually provides me with the information I need. I thought I'd try my luck in the forums as I'm sure someone here has done what I'm trying to do.

I have very simple two column page. On the left hand side is:

1/ A list of news categories
2/ A list of news articles

On the right hand side all I want to display is the article that is selected.

I would like the page to operate in the following manner:

1/ If a category is selected, the article list is filtered by that category.
2/ The list remains filtered when paging or selecting an article to view.

Pretty simple huh? That's what I thought but no amount of fiddling with the properties can I get it to behave this way including setting it up to be a master/detail arrangement.

I've read this - http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/kb/sitefinity-4-x/multiple-paged-content-widgets-on-one-page.aspx tried other combinations of properties, but all to no avail.

I've been going round and round in circles for weeks on this and am very disillusioned with the product and I am on the verge of uninstalling SF and moving to an Open source offering.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

justin

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Mar-2012 00:00

Can you explain a little about how you are addressing the issue? Through widget configuration alone, or are you doing some front or back end programming?

I believe that Sitefinity has everything you need to do that, but you'll likely have to connect the pieces with some JavaScript. If you provide some details where you are at, in more specific terms, I'm sure you'll get answers back on these forums. I have found that my smaller bite-sized specific posts get more responses. I'd offer more at this point, but I don't want to assume I know what steps you have taken.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Mar-2012 00:00

I found this forum post that gives a 20,000 overview of a possible solution. It suggests a RadWindow (AJAX) control that displays the output specified by another control. If it is what you are looking for, I'm sure more detail could be requested.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I'm endeavouring to keep my site as simple as possible and to achieve what I need through setting the properties. I purposely do not want to have to delve into code behind.

I have setup the two news widgets on the page to be in a master / detail arrangement and it sort of works. The problem is though that if I filter the list by clicking on a category, the list filters, but as soon as I click on an article to view, the list resets itself including pagination.

I have tried many different approaches including the suggestions by the support staff. None of which address the issue that I'm having.

I'm going to have one last look tonight and if that fails, I'm going to give it away and consider an alternate CMS.

thanks

justin

This thread is closed