Spam protection (CAPTCHA)

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 14:35

Spam protection (CAPTCHA)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2012 00:00

http://www.sitefinity.com/full-features-list.aspx states that there is spam protection.
As of which version is this available and on what modules.
Somehow I have missed that feature in the past.
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2012 00:00

Given some of the spam posts in this forum...

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2012 00:00

Good point, I dont know if Ive ever seen captcha anywhere (but my memory sucks). I havent played with the forums module though...definatly not in forms

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2012 00:00

@Telerik
Any answer on this
- Am I missing it
- If not Captchas can we expect them to come to 5.2 at least?
- Is the full-feature list wrong?

Markus

RadControls are included in Sitefinity, so I guess that strictly speaking, Captcha is included.

Hi Markus,

I think you can create a form field which holds a captcha?

Regards,
Daniel

@Daniel,
  I think that's the problem we're talking about... :)

Captcha is promoted as a feature of SF, but there's no captcha IN sf outside of "do it yourself"

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2012 00:00

Still no answer from Telerik

Markus

Yeah, I'm getting just blasted by spam on my sites new feedback tab

I'm finding official forum responses are down these days...

Dear Steve
They are probably all working on the next verision and do forget about us :-) Just kidding.

In observance of Bulgarian Education and Culture Day, the Telerik Headquarter office in Bulgaria will be working with limited capacity on May 24th and 25th. All international offices will be open and working extended hours to assist during this time to ensure you receive the high level of service expected of Telerik.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Telerik Team
Unquote

Markus

@Everyone,

Open ToolboxesConfig.config and add the following:
01.<toolbox name="FormControls">
02.<sections>
03.<add name="Common">
04.<tools>
05.    <add enabled="True"
06.    type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadCaptcha, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2012.1.215.40, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"
07.    title="RadCaptchaForms"
08.    description="RadCaptchaDescription"
09.    visibilityMode="None"
10.    name="RadCaptchaForms" />
11.</tools>
12.</add>
13.</sections>
14.</toolbox>

Recycle and have fun

Nope...ok that works...but again...it's a hack.  You're just adding in a custom control from Telerik.Web.UI, which means...

1) There's no designer
2) It's not in there by default on a new install

For all intents and purposes it's just a custom control

It also doesn't solve no captcha on comments.  It's in fact a checkbox here: "/Sitefinity/Administration/Settings/Basic/Comments/" ...but does nothing.  As far as I can tell the other checkboxes for fields also don't seem to work right either (website required, etc)

It's like saying Sitefinity can use WebAPI because you can reference the DLL

@Steve,

You're right - it's a hack, because its copying the RadCaptcha toolbox item that's under page controls to have a copy under formcontrols.

I'm just rolling with the punches here... seems like an obvious form control, but since nobody was as 'blonde' (no offense to the Sweeds - it's just a figure of speech)  enough to point it out, I thought I'd just be the idiot to do so...

J.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2012 00:00

Hi all,

You can implement CAPTCHA for Sitefinity Forms the only thing that you have to do is to follow the instructions bellow:
1. Download the project for the custom control from the blog post.
2. Include it in your solution
3. Add in the SitefinityWebApp the Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.Forms reference (Add Reference -> Projects)
2. Add in the Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.Forms the following reference: Telerik.OpenAccess, Telerik.Sitefinity, Telerik.Sitefinity.Model, Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources, Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities, Telerik.Web.UI if it is necessary.
3. Build the solution and run the project.
4. Go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> VirtualPathSettings -> Virtual paths and add a new virtual path for the control, then restart the website. The virtual path should exist in your computer. If you use ~/SfControls/* you have to create SfControl folder in your project and include the Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.Forms there. The resorce location should be Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.Forms and the ResolverName: EmbeddedResourceResolver .
5. After that go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> Toolboxes -> FormControls -> Sections -> Common -> Tools and register the custom control. The Control CLR Type or Virtual Path must be: Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.Forms.FormQapTchaControl (namespace.class), the name of the control should be FormQapTchaControl. Type a title and save the changes.
6. Go to you project in Visual Studio.
5. Change your web configurations (web.config) by simply making a dummy change and save them.
8. Build the solution of your project.
9. Open your project and the changes should be made.

For you convenience that is working I have recorded s sample video demonstration.

As for the Captcha control in Sitefinity we have a feature request logged. You can track it at this public URL bellow and vote for its popularity:
http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/sitefinity/10655
I hope we will be able to include such functionality for the next releases.

Kind regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Stefani
Thanks for the detailed answer. The original question was why CAPTCHA is promoted as a feature if you have to go through 9 steps to get it working :-)
http://www.sitefinity.com/full-features-list.aspx Under Security bottom right.

Again looking forward to missing stuff on up to date CMS system SF 5.2 or latest 5.3 (along with some other long awaited approvments that are NOT under the hood.

Markus

@Markus,

STEP 1)
Go to administration >> settings >> advanced >> toolboxes >> toolboxes >> page controls >> sections >> Radcontrols and check the 'enabled' checkbox :)

STEP 2)
Enjoy using RadCaptcha :)

---

I'm with you, Steve and the rest that its an oversight to not have this as a FormControl, but its there (by default) as a pagecontrol.

To follow up on Stefani's solution, a quote from the comments:
"it's easily bypassed by robots since its a javascript solution" < robots usually don't have javascript enabled, so this approach makes it only less human friendly.

So in the end, we're stuck with no solid Captcha for forms.

---
But to answer your original question:
You don't have to jump to 9 hoops to get it going. RadCaptcha is by default a feature (its listed under security not as a form feature) and Sitefinity has chosen to 'disable' the RadControls toolbox by default as per popular request around 4.1 I believe...

Dear Jochem

LOL

a) I use RadControls on every project - for example for verticale menu with flyout :-)
b) telling me that since RadControls are included so it makes sense to mention CAPTCHA as feature is a bit far fetched and I say missleading.
Its like saying SF can send mails on forms submissions because there is an control on marketplace.

This even more then it mentions it has Spam Protection. And I don't see that. However you are right with rad controls and usercontrols SF realy is powerfull.

Markus

:)

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't get hung up on a marketing sales list, there's tons of good stuff I consider to be missing from the list and several items I consider sales talk...

Every ASP page is by .NET default an asp form, drop a RadCaptcha on there and voila. For non tech folks a captcha equals spam protection...

It basically comes down to my motto "It doesn't matter if it passed the functional tests - what matters is if the tests are functional"  :)

Hi,

The JavaSctript should be enabled, because the captcha we are using is a jQuery QapTcha. It is a simple draggable captcha system which is build with jQuery and  jQuery UI.

As for the Captcha control built into widgets in Sitefinity we have a feature request logged. You can track it at this public URL bellow and vote for its popularity:
http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/sitefinity/10655
I hope we will be able to include such functionality for the next releases.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Couple things:
1) A 10 step process shouldn't be required when the CMS is marketed as having captcha
2) There are already backend settings captcha options which just don't work, and the 10 step add captcha to forms doesn't resolve that problem.

@Jochem,
  Sure there's tons of small things...but why not get to work on putting them in over continually making blog posts to hack in the stuff after the fact.  So like Rado made a nice blog post on adding captcha to SF in december...why not put that control into SF (it's now almost June).  You have the code for it...have a dev plop it in over lunch or something... :)

@Steve
Rado probably didn't because it doesn't work. He's smarter than just clutter the code with a hack :)

@Steve: "why not put that control into SF (it's now almost June).  You have the code for it...have a dev plop it in over lunch or something... :)"

Because that would be to easy! ;)

Last comment by adam on that page is awesome :)

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2012 00:00

Just to verify then: the enable captcha for e.g. blog comments isn't working? This suggest that the captcha control should be enabled on the comments detail view, but I as far I'm seeing this is not doing anything.

So, can be 2 things:

1. I forgot some thing to configure
2. This checkbox is just for decoration. Can it be removed then please?!

Regards,
Daniel

The funny part about the checkbox is that in another thread when we pointed out a check that did nothing it wasn't classified as a bug...since it was never implemented :)

Well, there actually is a RadCaptcha control available inside the blog comment detail list.
Strange...

@Steve
LOL
I remember that and thought it was a rather strange answer back then.
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 26-May-2012 00:00

The part I find most bemusing is that while this discussion of whether or not CAPTCHA is actually part of Sitefinity, this very forum continues to be spammed.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jun-2012 00:00

Ok, so turns out there IS captcha for the comments...but it only shows up when you are not logged in (FYI)

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Sep-2012 00:00

Hey Jochem - i added the RadCaptcha field to the toolbox, and to my form, but i can still submit the form without it being filled in. How do i go about making sure it actually gets validated?

Hi,

You have to validate whether the page is valid. Please take a look at this demo.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Since there are no Sweeds in the thread, I'm just going to say it:

Blonde question but how do you envision this kind of validation on a Sitefinity form ?

On content>forms you can't add this validation. On the Forms widget you can't add extra validation.

So the only way something like that could work is by dropping a Javascript widget on the page where you drop the widget and mimic the code inside that script block.

Which is fun since that totally negates the re-use of forms as a widget because you'd manually need to add script widgets for each page where you post a form and it means the end-user can never create a new page with a form...

Or am I missing something here?

Jochem

You have to use a custom control (until they can just implement this...) that inherits from the regular forms control and then check the captcha on the BeforeFormSave event

I based mine on Georges Forms Notification Control, but you can just as easily cut out the important bits.

So use jochems method to copy the radcaptcha into the forms controls toolbox then it searches through the controls on the form and finds the captcha, then validates on submit!

I have this active on my site and it's been working flawlessly since implimented.  However it'd be nice if telerik implemented it core.

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Linq;
using System.Net;
using System.Net.Mail;
using System.Text;
using System.Text.RegularExpressions;
using Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Forms;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Forms.Web.UI;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Forms.Web.UI.Fields;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Services;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields;
using Telerik.Web.UI;

namespace FormsNotification
    [Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlDesign.ControlDesigner(typeof(FormsControlCustomDesigner))]
    public class FormsControlCustom : FormsControl

private const string LAYOUT_TEMPLATE_NAME = "FormsNotification.Resources.FormsControl.ascx";
        private const string CLIENT_EMAIL_SUBJECT = "Form Submission";
        private string _clientEmailField;

protected override void InitializeControls(GenericContainer container)

if (!SystemManager.IsDesignMode)

//Hide the form if JS is disabled, it'll let them bypass the required fields.
                base.InitializeControls(container);
                this.BeforeFormSave += new EventHandler<CancelEventArgs>(FormsControlCustom_BeforeFormSave);

#region EVENTS
        protected void FormsControlCustom_BeforeFormSave(object sender, CancelEventArgs e)

bool canSendEmail = true;

if (this.MyCaptcha != null)

if (!this.MyCaptcha.IsValid)

e.Cancel = true;
                    this.MyCaptcha.ErrorMessage = this.CaptchaErrorMessage;
                    canSendEmail = false;

if (canSendEmail)
                SendEmail();

/*
        /// <summary>
        /// Handles the submit button click event.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="control">The submit control.</param>
        /// <param name="validationGroup">The validation group.</param>
        protected override void ConfigureSubmitButton(System.Web.UI.Control control, string validationGroup)

//var submit = control as FormSubmitButton;
            //submit.Click += new EventHandler(OnSubmitButton_Click);
            base.ConfigureSubmitButton(control, validationGroup);

*/
        /*
        /// <summary>
        /// The submit button click event handler.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="sender">Calling control.</param>
        /// <param name="e">Event arguments.</param>
        void OnSubmitButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

SendEmail();

* */

private void SendEmail()

try

//String to hold the message content
                var msgContent = new StringBuilder();

if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(Message))
                    msgContent.Append(string.Format("<p>0</p>", Message));

if (IncludeFields)

//Start reading fields controls starting with the built-in types then the custom or generic types)
                    foreach (var fieldControl in this.FieldControls)

if (fieldControl is FormTextBox)

msgContent.Append(String.Format("<p><strong>0:</strong> 1</p>",
                                ((FormTextBox)fieldControl).Title,
                                ((FormTextBox)fieldControl).Value));

if (fieldControl.MetaField.FieldName.ToLower().Contains("email"))

_clientEmailField = ((FormTextBox)fieldControl).Value.ToString().Trim();

else if (fieldControl is FormParagraphTextBox)

((FormParagraphTextBox)fieldControl).Title,
                                ((FormParagraphTextBox)fieldControl).Value));

else if (fieldControl is FormCheckboxes)

string choices = ((List<String>)((FormCheckboxes)fieldControl).Value).Aggregate(string.Empty,
                                (current, item) =>
                                                  current +
                                                  String.Format(
                                                      "0,",
                                                      item));
                                ((FormCheckboxes)fieldControl).Title, choices));

else if (fieldControl is FormChoiceField)

((FormChoiceField)fieldControl).Title,
                                ((FormChoiceField)fieldControl).Value));

else if (fieldControl is FieldControl)

var fldControl = fieldControl as FieldControl;

msgContent.Append(String.Format("<p><strong>0:</strong> 1</p>", fldControl.Title,
                                fldControl.Value));

else

foreach (var fieldControl in FieldControls.OfType<FormTextBox>().Where(fieldControl => fieldControl.MetaField.FieldName.ToLower().Contains("email")))

_clientEmailField = (fieldControl).Value.ToString().Trim();

try

//Finally attempt to send the email(s)
                    var isMsgSent = SendEmailMsg(FromAddress, ToAddresses, CCAddresses, Subject, msgContent.ToString());

if (!isMsgSent)

//TODO: add action when the email was not sent.

catch (Exception ex)

if (EnableLogging)

Logger.Writer.Write(CreateLogEntry(ex));

catch (Exception ex)

private LogEntry CreateLogEntry(Exception ex, string title = "Email on form submission failed")

var logEntry = new LogEntry();
            logEntry.Categories.Add("ErrorLog");
            logEntry.Message = ex.ToString();
            logEntry.Title = title;
            return logEntry;

#endregion

#region METHODS
        /// <summary>
        /// Determines whether the email address provided is valid using regular expression.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="email">Email address to validate</param>
        /// <returns>True if valid, false otherwise</returns>
        private bool IsValidEmail(string email)

//regular expression pattern for valid email
            var pattern = @"\w+([-+.']\w+)*@\w+([-.]\w+)*\.\w+([-.]\w+)*";
            //Regular expression object
            var check = new Regex(pattern, RegexOptions.IgnorePatternWhitespace);
            //boolean variable to return to calling method
            var valid = false;

//make sure an email address was provided
            valid = !string.IsNullOrEmpty(email) && check.IsMatch(email);

//return the value to the calling method
            return valid;

/// <summary>
        /// Attempts to sends an email message.  If success, returns true.  Else returns false.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="fromAddr">Who the email is from</param>
        /// <param name="toAddr">Who the email is to (comma separate if more than one)</param>
        /// <param name="ccAddr">Who should be cc'ed (comma separate if more than one)</param>
        /// <param name="subject">Subject line of the email</param>
        /// <param name="msgBody">content of the email</param>
        /// <returns></returns>
        private bool SendEmailMsg(string fromAddr, string toAddr, string ccAddr, string subject, string msgBody)

if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(fromAddr) && !string.IsNullOrEmpty(toAddr))

var mailServer = new SmtpClient();
                var mailMsg = new MailMessage();

var clientMailMsg = new MailMessage();

var smtpSettings = Config.Get<SystemConfig>().SmtpSettings;

if (!smtpSettings.Host.IsNullOrWhitespace())

mailServer.Host = smtpSettings.Host;
                    mailServer.Port = smtpSettings.Port;
                    mailServer.EnableSsl = smtpSettings.EnableSSL;
                    mailServer.Timeout = smtpSettings.Timeout;

if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(smtpSettings.UserName))

mailServer.UseDefaultCredentials = false;
                        mailServer.Credentials = new NetworkCredential(smtpSettings.UserName, smtpSettings.Password);

if (IsValidEmail(fromAddr))

mailMsg.From = new MailAddress(fromAddr);
                    clientMailMsg.From = new MailAddress(fromAddr);

//Split the addresses into an array and check whether the specified addresses are valid

var arrToAddr = toAddr.Split(new string[] ",", ";" , StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries);
                var arrCCAddr = ccAddr.Split(new string[] ",", ";" , StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries);

foreach (var emailAddr in arrToAddr.Select(s => s.Trim()).Where(IsValidEmail))

mailMsg.To.Add(new MailAddress(emailAddr));

foreach (var emailAddr in arrCCAddr.Select(s => s.Trim()).Where(IsValidEmail))

mailMsg.CC.Add(new MailAddress(emailAddr));

mailMsg.IsBodyHtml = true;
                mailMsg.Subject = subject;
                mailMsg.Body = "<div style='font-family: verdana;font-size: .8em;'>" + msgBody + "</div>";

if (SendEmailToClient && IsValidEmail(_clientEmailField))

clientMailMsg.To.Add(_clientEmailField);
                    clientMailMsg.IsBodyHtml = true;
                    clientMailMsg.Subject = CLIENT_EMAIL_SUBJECT;
                    clientMailMsg.Body = ClientMailMessage;

try

mailServer.Send(mailMsg);

if (SendEmailToClient && IsValidEmail(_clientEmailField))

mailServer.Send(clientMailMsg);

catch (Exception ex)

if (EnableLogging)

return false;

return true;

#endregion

#region Properties
        private RadCaptcha _captcha = null;
        protected RadCaptcha MyCaptcha

get

if (!SystemManager.IsDesignMode)

foreach (var control in this.FormControls.Controls[1].Controls)

if (control.GetType() == typeof(RadCaptcha))

_captcha = control as RadCaptcha;
                            break;

return _captcha;

private string _captchaErrorMessage = "Invalid Code, please try again";
        public string CaptchaErrorMessage

get
                return _captchaErrorMessage;

set

_captchaErrorMessage = value;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or Sets the layout template name for the control.
        /// </summary>
        protected override string LayoutTemplateName

get

return FormsControlCustom.LAYOUT_TEMPLATE_NAME;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or Sets the address(es) to which the email will be delivered.
        /// </summary>
        [Category("Email Options")]
        public string Subject

get

var propertyValue = string.Empty;

object obj = ViewState["Subject"];

if (obj != null)
                    propertyValue = obj.ToString();
                else

var formId = this.FormId;
                    var formMgr = new FormsManager();
                    var formDescr = formMgr.GetForm(formId);
                    propertyValue = String.Format("0 1 - Submission", formDescr.ApplicationName.TrimEnd('/'), formDescr.Title);

return propertyValue;

set

ViewState["Subject"] = value;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or Sets the message that is included in the body.
        /// </summary>
        public string Message

get

object obj = ViewState["Message"];

if (obj != null)
                else

var formId = this.FormId;
                    var formMgr = new FormsManager();
                    var formDescr = formMgr.GetForm(formId);
                    propertyValue = String.Format("A 0 has been submitted, login to your CMS to view the results", formDescr.Title);

return propertyValue;

set

ViewState["Message"] = value;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or Sets the address(es) to which the email will be delivered.
        /// </summary>
        public string ToAddresses

get

object obj = ViewState["ToAddresses"];
                if (obj != null)
                return propertyValue.Trim();

set

ViewState["ToAddresses"] = value;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or Sets the address from which the email will be delivered.
        /// </summary>
        public String FromAddress

get

var obj = ViewState["FromAddress"];
                if (obj != null)

else

var smtpSettings = Config.Get<SystemConfig>().SmtpSettings;

if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(propertyValue) && !string.IsNullOrEmpty(smtpSettings.DefaultSenderEmailAddress))

propertyValue = smtpSettings.DefaultSenderEmailAddress;

set ViewState["FromAddress"] = value;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or Sets the address(es) of the CC to which the email will be delivered.
        /// </summary>
        public String CCAddresses

get

object obj = ViewState["CCAddresses"];
                if (obj != null)

set

ViewState["CCAddresses"] = value;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or Sets the flag indicating whether error will be logged.
        /// </summary>
        [Category("Additional")]
        public bool EnableLogging

get

var propertyValue = false;
                object obj = ViewState["EnableLogging"];
                if (obj != null)
                    propertyValue = (bool)obj;
                return propertyValue;

set

ViewState["EnableLogging"] = value;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or Sets the flag indicating whether field names and values are included in the email
        /// </summary>
        [Category("Additional")]
        public bool IncludeFields

get

var propertyValue = true;
                object obj = ViewState["IncludeFields"];
                if (obj != null)
                return propertyValue;

set

ViewState["IncludeFields"] = value;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or Sets the flag indicating whether an email will be sent to the client after submission.
        /// </summary>
        [Category("Additional")]
        public bool SendEmailToClient

get

var propertyValue = false;
                object obj = ViewState["SendEmailToClient"];
                if (obj != null)
                return propertyValue;

set

ViewState["SendEmailToClient"] = value;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or Sets the message that is included in the body of the email that is sent to the client after submission.
        /// </summary>
        public string ClientMailMessage

get

object obj = ViewState["ClientMailMessage"];

if (obj != null)

return propertyValue;

set

ViewState["ClientMailMessage"] = value;

#endregion

@Steve,

You've certainly earned your nickname today! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see this in v5.2!

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Sep-2012 00:00

How importent CAPTCHAS are show this forum. anotheür 4 pages full of the same spam. I would $be embarresed as Telerik.
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2013 00:00

I just added the RadCaptcha control to the Forms toolbox as well.  How do you force it to require and validate the captcha?  

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jul-2013 00:00

It looks like the solution in this thread have been outdated by the new forms subscription model. Does anyone have a workable captcha solution for 6.x? 

I've asked support and was referred to this thread and this blog post that does not work when javascript has been turned off.

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jul-2013 00:00

Hello,

I would suggest you to check the Akismet(http://akismet.com/) integration sample from the Sitefinity SDK.
Furthermore you could review this forum post:

www.sitefinity.com/.../how-to-add-captcha-in-custom-sitefinity-form-builder-

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

This thread is closed