Sitefinity 5 speed issues

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 12:15

Sitefinity 5 speed issues

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-May-2012 00:00

Hey all 

I've recently been asked to take ownership of a sitefinity site that has been upgraded to 5.0.  The site runs very slow on both the front and back end, the error logs point to nothing specific and I have conducted tests on the hosting outside of sitefinity to feel assured it is not an issue with the speed of the hosting.    

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this ?  Its a simple content site so this is surprising, naturally I have recycled application pools etc.

many thanks

andy

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2012 00:00

Dear Andy

For startes in July 5.1 should be released which should bring some speed enhancments due to changes in architecture (only load stuff when needed, kendo)

As for your question.

a) can you define very slow. Use Fiddler2.com to see what is going on
b) can you link us to the site so we can have a look at it and test the speed
c) can you give information about the hosting RAM, Shared, VPS and so on
d) Is the site only slow when accessed the first time or allways.
e) use Chorome for admins. Way faster then IE8 for example.

Sitefinity is know to be a bit slow when the application starts so I try to keep my sites warm. If you don't have enough visitors then it might be the case that the app is restarting and therefore takes 8-15 seconds for the first load. After that it should be fin.

I still belive in optimizing a site: minimize CSS, combine CSS, optimize JPG outside SF and so on. But I am a bit old fashioned.

Markus

Re: App Startup.

Personally, I use a combination of:

Application Initialization Module for IIS 7.5
http://www.iis.net/download/ApplicationInitialization

A page-ping utility - plenty around, but I happen to use this one
http://forums.smartertools.com/showthread.php/8511-SmarterPing-Website-Keep-Alive-Utility

@MB

I use a monitor service (www.host-tracker.com) to monitor my sites. Every 1 min costs me 11 USD a year and seems to warm up my site next to having me mails, skype and text messages sent when the site goes down (yes it can happen)
Thanks for th eLink to Applicaion Initialization Module which I have a look at once I got some spare time.

Markus

This thread is closed