Sitefinity Content Caching

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:36

Sitefinity Content Caching

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jun-2012 00:00

Hello,

We have a question about how and when Sitefinity invalidates content in its cache. We assume that changes made to content through the CMS will invalidate the cache for the edited item so the next request for that item will get the fresh content.

We have a client with a non-standard server configuration. There are a number of production servers that are used by a load balancer. Each of these runs an instance of Sitefinity, and all point to the same database.

There is a separate "admin" server used to manage all content changes. The Sitefinity instance on this server is pointed to the same database as all of the load-balanced instances. All servers, including the admin server are on completely separate physical boxes.

Currently, we are trying to track down a content publishing delay issue where changes made on the admin instance do not immediately appear when browsing the production instance(s). We are investigating the load-balancer to see if it is providing caching that could be causing the delay, but we want to know if the current production configuration of Sitefinity server(s) described above could be the issue.

Our main question is this: If multiple server instances share the same CMS database, and content is edited using any one of those instances, will the SF caching in the other server instances be correctly invalidated for the changed content? Or, is our setup a recipe for a caching disaster?

Thanks for any insight!

Regards,
John G

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jun-2012 00:00

John,

I've never encountered a configuration like that, but I'll try to help!

If you go to Administration -> System -> CacheManagers, you should see the managers. Clicking on them will show a "CacheStore" option.

The default, as you'll see, is "InMemory", which is what is probably causing your issue. Try changing it to "InDatabase". This page is a bit old, but I'm assuming the different options are still there...and it explains the differences.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jun-2012 00:00

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the suggestion. Though, it appears that "InDatabase" is no longer a supported value for the CacheStore property. We get an error to that effect when trying to change the value from "InMemory" to "InDatabase".

We also got a response for a ticket we submitted with the same question, and the answer is not very encouraging. We are being told, essentially, that the site would need to be configured with the suggested NLB setup for this to work properly.

The production environment is completely outside of our control, so NLB configuration is not an option for us. We may experiment with possible programmatic / web service solutions that can be triggered remotely - i.e. a URL we could call with a parameter to invalidate cache for a given content item. Not even sure that is possible (or practical), however.

Thanks again!

Regards,
John G

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jun-2012 00:00

John,

Well then, hmmm. I found this thread on load balancing, maybe it can shed some light.

This thread is closed