Sitefinity on New Azure

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 12:16

Sitefinity on New Azure

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jun-2012 00:00

Azure got one hell of an overhaul...so whats the deal now with Sitefinity and Azure, is it actually an affordable solution?

Could a SBE it be hosted on Azure Web for about the cost of shared hosting elsewhere? 
http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/?scenario=web 

Calc seems to say so, but realworld is always different...

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jun-2012 00:00

Anything, T?...this thread should have enough views to warrant a response, no? :)

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jun-2012 00:00

I would like to know if Telerik will add official support for Windows Azure Websites. I got access to the preview and attempted to put Sitefinity 5.0 on a Azure Website.
Here's what I did:
1. I created a new Azure website with linked database.
2. I created a new Sitefinity 5.0 project on my dev machine using Sql Server (Not Express).
3. I logged into the admin portal locally to make sure I could get to the backend and then created a simple home page. I confirmed I was able to view it.
3. I used FTP to transfer all the project files to my Azure Website.
4. I updated some of the files as stated in step 1 here: www.sitefinity.com/.../prepare-the-project-for-deployment
5. Updated the dataconfig file and migrated the database to Sql Azure (the one linked to my site) as shown here: www.sitefinity.com/.../migrate-your-database-to-sql-azure

The result? I was able to view the home page and edit it in the browser, but when I got to the backend and try to add a new page or edit an existing one and click "Publish" I get an error like this:
There was no endpoint listening at mysite.azurewebsites.net/.../PagesApprovalWorkflow.xamlx that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

Is this because of the new Azure Websites, or has anyone see this before in regular shared hosting?
Azure Websites should definitely be supported by Telerik for Sitfiniety since we scale so easily and they have integrated TFS hosting.
Also, I don't know if this is because my site is on the free shared hosting tier or not, but loading anything on the site takes a long time with Sitefinity.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jun-2012 00:00

Hello,

@ Steve
SBE can`t be hosted in Azure and what I mean is you can deploy the project in Azure, run it normally, but SBE doesn`t come with the load balancing module. Here it is described only professional and enterprise licenses are coming with the network load balancing module.
The need for this module is because Azure is a multi server environment and the Azure deployment packege is moved form server to server and to properly manage the publishing of a page for example which is performed on one server and the loading of the pages grid which is on another server all connected to one database the NLB module manages this. The connection time out if the module is not present.

@ Jonathan
The error message "There was no endpoint listening at mydomain.com/.../PagesApprovalWorkflow.xamlx  that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details." is caused because of missing workflow base url that resolved the workflow managing the publishing of pages in Sitefinity to your domain name. To resolve the problem refer to the steps outlined in this KB article.

The site might appear very slow if the Azure application pool is not warmed up. It recycles as every other application pool, but it takes more time to warm it up. Continuously using the site warms it up or a good manual warmup I can recommend is to go to the backend and open 20-30 tabs with different parts of the backend and in firefox you have the option to reload all tabs in few minutes of reloading the application pool will be warmed up. For best performance perform longer warmup.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jun-2012 00:00

@Stanislav
  You're talking about the "new" azure (as of last week?)...the websites hosting portion?  Certainly you don't mean hosting in a azure VM?

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jun-2012 00:00

@Stansilav
I just got my free Azure because of MS websitespark programm and was about to try it out.
Have I understood it correct aht Azure is only supported by Pro and Enterprise editions?
If yes this will save me the trouble of getting to know what azure can do for me :-)
Markus

@Steve
To me a VPS seems to be a bit more what I want. Comming from shared hosting I was afraid of VPS but now love the ability to install software like SQL backup which lets me send my backups to my other server with another hoster for backup reasons automatically.
I simply don't trust the cloud yet. Also pricing seems to be not that much cheaper then a VPS with 4-6 clients on it.
Would love some of your insights on Azure.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jun-2012 00:00

@Markus,
  An Azure VM is like a VPS(vm) on roids...infinatly more redundant, scalable :) ...I'm very impressed, but this all comes at a cost, slightly greater than you'd get just buying a VPS from like 1&1 or something...but you get what you pay for.

From your end, they're the exact same thing right...you get a windows VM you have full control of either way (azure or your companies purchased VPS)....it's just azure is faster and more redundant :)

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jul-2012 00:00

@Stanislav

Your link doesn't work, but I did find this: http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/kb/sitefinity-4-x/pages-cannot-be-published-after-installation.aspx

After following the instructions here, it did not resolve the issue, at least not for my site on Azure Websites, which I realize is not even released yet. In the backend, I go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> System -> ServicePaths and then enter my domain name, which looks something like mydomain.azurewebsites.net and save.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jul-2012 00:00

I too I have deployed SF 5.0 to the shared hosting of Azure Web sites. I have run into the same 'no endpoint' publishing problem and was unable to correct it by setting the 'ServicePaths' setting.

This thread is closed