Sitefinity 5 - ASP.Net Membership/Role Provider

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 10:12

Sitefinity 5 - ASP.Net Membership/Role Provider

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jun-2012 00:00

Hi, I am evaluating sitefinity 5 and have been trying to find information on replacing the inbuilt authentication mechanisms. I have trawled google and this site, but everytime I think I have found something it seems to be for an earlier version of sitefinity. It's be nice if we could come up with some kind of a walkthrough and make it clear this is for sitefinity 5.

Can anyone help me get a simple Sitefinty 5 site to use the ASP.net membership providers out of the box for the front end of the site (if this is possible)?

At the moment I have several sites that use the standard membership provider:

System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider

and a custom role provider that inherits from

System.Web.Security.RoleProvider

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jun-2012 00:00

I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to get EITHER a custom role provider, or Claims based authentication working with Sitefinity. And have had no success at all. I finally stumbled upon this thread this morning:
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity/developing-with-sitefinity/custom-asp-net-roleprovider-with-sitefinity-5-0.aspx

So I still cannot find a straight answer to an easy question, which makes me think that Sitefinity is not compatible with standard ways of implementing Authorization in ASP.Net. The fact no-one has come back with a clear walkthrough of how to implement a role provider by extending Teleriks own objects makes me even more sceptical that this is possible.

So moving forward I have a support ticket in asking an easy question: Here is a standalone Security Tolen Service (STS) so that I can use claims based authentication it works perfectly with ASP.Net websites, so how can I make Sitfinity use it (at the moment required querystring parameters are not present, when it gets called from Sitefinity). It should be answered in a few hours, so I'll update my other thread with the outcome. I really hope the answer is not something along the lines of having to use sitefinity to manage my security - that would be ridiculous!

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity/general-discussions/claims-based-auth-with-non-sitefinity-security-token-service.aspx

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jun-2012 00:00

They still haven't fixed that? This is pathetic, the role provider wrappers used to work fine prior to 5.0

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jul-2012 00:00

After much investigation I have managed to achieve my goals. I exploit the fact that Sitefnity automatically wraps SqlMembershipProvider, and have used an STS service to provide my authentication from the same SqlMembership Database. Please see this post if you want more info.

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity/general-discussions/claims-based-auth-with-non-sitefinity-security-token-service.aspx#2194461

This thread is closed