Creating Multilingual site

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:54

Creating Multilingual site

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jul-2012 00:00

Hello Sitefinity team,

I have a website under development. The English version of site is built and now client came up with idea of having multilingual site. They want Arabic also added to the site. I was trying to add Home page on arabic. I filled the page properties and noe it gave me a page which says "Copy from another language OR start from scratch". Clicking "Start from Scatch" gives me a message "The given page node has child nodes. You can only split a node if it does not have child nodes or all of its child nodes are also split".

I dont want to copy content from any other version. The page structure is also different. please advice me to how proceed?

Any one can reply on this plz?

Thank you,
Hydo

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jul-2012 00:00

Hello, Hydo.

Thanks for contacting us.

This is an effect of the way Sitefinity handles synced/split pages. Start translating the child pages at the bottom of your hierarchy first and work your way up the chain to the top level page. You won't get that message if you do it that way.

Regards,
Randy Hodge
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jul-2012 00:00

Thank you. will try this way

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Apr-2013 00:00

I am also experiencing the same issue in version 5.2, and do not wish to translate the lower-level pages.

How do I work around this bug?

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Apr-2013 00:00

Hello Phil,

The workaround for your case would be to create other languages of the child pages from the bottom of the hierarchy up as described before and after translating the top level page, delete the unwanted translations of the child pages.

Regards,
Randy Hodge
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Aug-2013 00:00

Hi Randy,

That's a pretty terrible and non user-friendly workaround. I'm uncomfortable passing these instructions on to clients - can you please provide a timescale for a real solution?

We're now on version 6.0 and experiencing the same problems. Multilingual is pretty unusable in this state. This also doesn't work when there is more than one level of pages below the affected page, as another bug prevents you from deleting translations from parent pages, even if their children are not available in the selected language.

Thanks,
Phil

This thread is closed