5.1 Shared Web Hosting

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:31

5.1 Shared Web Hosting

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jul-2012 00:00

Ok, I'll be the first to bite. Will Sitefinity 5.1 work on a shared host like Discountasp where you only get 200mb of app pool memory? Yay or nay?

We've been running all our 4.x and 5.0 sites on Rackspace and, although they are great, I don't want to be a web hoster any more.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jul-2012 00:00

Dear KMac

My first impression is that 5.1 uses a bit more ram then 5.0. I just updated one Small Business site. I usually hat around 170mb going up to 230 MB when using backend. Now I got about 50 MB more when using the backend. 

This is just a first impression.  I would defenitely recomend to get a hoster with 500 MB app pool or get your own VPS.

But I did not yet try. This could be the way you might get the best out of it.

Modules and Services Management UI
Sitefinity 5.1 brings the functionality for turning on and off modules. In order to save memory, you can disable certain modules that you don't use for this web site - their navigation links and widgets will be hidden and disabled. The less modules load, the faster the startup times are. 

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jul-2012 00:00

Hi Kalvin,

When choosing a shared hosting partner I would suggest to go for our hosting partners, which can be found here:

www.sitefinity.com/.../hosting-partners.aspx

Still, in 5.1 ( as Markus noted ) you have the option to switch off, modules that you do not wish to use, which can save you a lot of memory, so I guess, you are free to try other hosting providers as well. However we cannot guarantee that Sitefinity will be performing as good as when using a hosting partner's service.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jul-2012 00:00

Thanks Victor,
I'm already using one of your hosting partners (rackspace) but the question is does 5.1 play nice with shared hosting (e.g. will it run where app pool memory is limited). I believe the roadmap mentioned that it will but I would love some official word on this before I start downt that path again.

This thread is closed