I HATE upgrading Sitefinity

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 23:04

I HATE upgrading Sitefinity

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jul-2012 00:00

I've been using this product since v4.0 and I've endured pain and heartache with every upgrade I've attempted. 5.0 -> 5.1 is no exception.

I dunno, maybe I'm just unlucky. Maybe I'm just dumb, but whatever the reason, after following each step of the upgrade process in the docs quite carefully, I get to the end, rebuild the project and run it and get this...

[KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.]
   System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key) +9625629
   System.Collections.ObjectModel.KeyedCollection`2.get_Item(TKey key) +9433661
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadAttributes(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo, Boolean isNew) +278
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo, Boolean isNew, Boolean validateTagName) +148
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadSectionFromReader(ConfigSection section, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean checkForUpgrade, UpgradingInfo& upgradingInfo) +214
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadSectionFromFile(ConfigSection section, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean withUpgrade) +101
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadSection(ConfigSection section, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName) +53
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigSection.Initialize(ConfigProvider provider, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean singlePolicy) +153
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigSection.Initialize(ConfigProvider provider) +16
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Config.Get(Boolean safeMode) +164
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.ObjectFactory.ConfigureCaching(ConfigurationSourceBuilder configBuilder) +164
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.ObjectFactory.RegisterIoCTypes() +255
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Bootstrap() +188
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +116
   System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.System.Web.IHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication application) +10
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModulesCommon() +172
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModules() +43
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context, HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers) +828
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetNormalApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +304
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +107
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +327

Why do the Gods hate me?

-- 
Stuart

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jul-2012 00:00

Really, I'm, a nice guy. I'm kind to people and dogs. I don't deserve this.

I'm going to bed.

Or maybe for a drink.

Possibly both.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jul-2012 00:00

Hi Stuart,

For what it's worth: I upgraded two 4.3 websites without problems. I think it becomes nasty when you have your own custom modules. Is that the case?
I didn't had this exception before, only in a Lightswitch project with a reference to Telerik's Silverlight components, so maybe the RadControls are not referenced right?

Just giving some thoughts...

Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jul-2012 00:00

That's the worse bit; there's sod all in it.

I'd had such a dire experience with upgrading that I decided to use the opportunity to redesign the site so started from scratch. There's hardly anything in it. The only custom item is the theme.

-- 
Stuart

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jul-2012 00:00

I have all of my widgets in separate assembly, and I ALWAYS forget that I need to update the references in it (to reflect the changed versions of source dlls in the upgraded site) and recompile the assembly before starting the upgraded site... resulting in a heart-stopping error message first time I start an upgraded site... followed shortly by a loud DOH!!

This thread is closed