Module Builder completely breaks on 5.1 upgrade

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:53

Module Builder completely breaks on 5.1 upgrade

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jul-2012 00:00

Hello,

I have submitted a support ticket on this, but I notice replies seem to come faster on the forums. We upgraded a 4.3 sitefinity instance to 5 and then to 5.1. The results are that the Module Builder completely fails. It shows up in the "Modules" list as Failed and refused to uninstall or deactivate. It failed with an error 'an item with the same key has already been added'.

As it turns out, looking at the error logs, during the upgrade the module builder failed to upgrade because table 'sf_dynamic_content' table 'already exists'.

Using a copy of the site, I was able to (finally) get the module builder to uninstall by manually deleting the tables that are involved (the tables created by existing custom modules we already had, the sf_dynamic_content tables and related child tables, and removing the reference in the sf_schema_vrsns table. Then I was actually able to reinstall the module builder and it appears in the admin and works.

However, once I create a module using the builder, and attempt to go to the listing, I get:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.ContentViewControlDefinition.GetDefaultMasterView() +71
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.ContentView.DetermineCurrentViewName() +215
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.ContentView.CreateChildControls() +86
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +181
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +72
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +239
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3913

While we love the software, we have been consistently disappointed by the quality of new Sitefinity releases. There are always major issues, and there is no effort to communicate with customers when those issues arise. Instead it is up to us to dig into forums to find where devs have dropped code to fix things.

If anyone can shed any light on this issue, it would be tremendously appreciated.

-Tony

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jul-2012 00:00

I reported this issue too on Tuesday and have had this response from Telerik:

"We'll try to address this issue in the upcoming service pack (next week). "

I totally agree with your comments about Sitefinity releases.

This thread is closed