200 image galleries

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 17:02

200 image galleries

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Aug-2012 00:00

I am in the process of migrating an school site to SF 5.1. Now the old Site has a ton of images in a folderstructur with about 250 folders representing single events like graduation 1 grade 2009, graduation 3 grade 2009, and so on for different events and years.

Since there are no nested image libraries this would be hard to handle for users when having 200 - 300 libraries. And I don't think tagging all images in one library would do the trick either.

Any good ideas?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Aug-2012 00:00

Hi,

you know that you can change the Storage Provider for Document, Video and Image Lib.

Thats the first step to store this things in Server Filesystem.
Then an idea to use Tags or Categories to find the Content fast in one lib.
And 200-300 Images are not so much. And at the end its faster to found (when the customer understand the concept of filters)

Dear TMatt (real name would be nice :-))

I did forget that I can set the profider on a per library basis. The problem is that I have about 200-300 image galleries containing each about 15-40 images. So we are talking about a couple of thousend images.
I could make a gallerie for each year but this would leave still a lot of images to be tagged. And if you are uploading 30 image and forget to tag them on initial upload then you are in trouble searching for the right ones.

Another thing is that the images are still all stored in one folder on the system. Lets say I have to migrate in 5 years to any other system or want to use the images I would never know which image is which.

Neste libraries and folder for libraries in file storage provider would help.

I hope you see my problem.
Markus

I would have thought the storage provider is neither here nor there to the issue of organisation. Access to the library file is the same, regardless of where it is stored. The filesystem provider has benefits in not using the database, when database size/growth is an issue, and when storing large files (e.g. I have a client storing 1.5GB+ zip files).

Categories is your most likely candidate I guess, because they can be structured hierarchically. 

Ok,

i understand the Problem. But you can make different Libs.
I think it´s a starting point. At the end all are stored in on Folder on Filesystem (if you use Filesystem as Storage Rovider). It´s hard work to migrate old System to new one.
Maybee you find some studenst which will do the work for you.
The concept of Tags and Categories are the same as nested Folders. You have to do the work also with folders. Maybee some can write an Image importer for you which will do the Categories autmatically. But i think in this case ist to expensive. Only when you have a lot of Projects ist an Option to program a tool like this.

Ps: The Web Editor here is the hell.

This thread is closed