5.1 SP 1 Uploading images very slow, file provider

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 08:31

5.1 SP 1 Uploading images very slow, file provider

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Aug-2012 00:00

I am uploading about 46 images with an average of 75 KB to a library with file provider set. 
This takes very very very long. Much longer than simply transfering the images would take FTP wise.

Anyone else experiancing the same?

Markus

How Long do you Need for it ?

Ps: An FTP Solutions is always faster than any HTTP based way. During the Overhead in HTTP.
Only a Socket based upload could be bettrer in future inside HTTP.

I just uploaded 60 images with an everage of 50 kb in 3,3 Minutes.

Markus

This is slow.
I tested my site and i need 24 sec (corrected time). For 29 Images with 85 kb per Image.
Any Virus Scanners on your Client site which scan HTTP Connections?

Dear TMatt
Disabled scanner. Uploaded 25 image average 75KB in 1 min 45 seconds.

I would not mind that it takes a bit longer but I have to upload 0.5 GB of images. It might be that my VPS has fast download but limited upload. Will check that with my ISP.

Thanks Markus

Check the upload speed on your client connection, and see what it's actually capable of - e.g. http://www.speedtest.net/

Hosted servers (in commercial data-centres)  are usually connected to the internet via symmetrical high-speed broadband services, with upload/download being the same (firewall and routing constraints notwithstanding).

SMB and Consumer broadband connections are typically Asymmetric (eg ADSL) with the outbound (upload) speed being **MUCH** lower than the inbound (download) speed.

With an Asymmetric service, it is usually the uploader's outbound speed that limits upload performance, not the servers inbound speed. 

Standard ADSL2+ has an outbound speed limit (good cables < 600m to exchange) of about 1mbps and quickly drops off as either length or cable XT/Noise increases. There are ways to improve this (Annex-M, multi-link bonding, etc etc) but they are not vanilla solutions.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Aug-2012 00:00

Dear MB

Thank's my side seems to be fast enough. I do think that its an ISP problem. I might have a fast download from VPS but upload is limited or simply not configured right.

I uploaded some image to the server FTP wise (also slow) and then connected Remote Desktop and did the same thing directely on the server.

65 images avarage 67 kb in 43 seconds. 

So it defenitely is a connection speed problem ISP wise. 

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Aug-2012 00:00

@Markus

It won't be more than a rough guide, but I guess you could log onto your VPS and run a standard browser-based speed test from there, to see what the 'download' speed is... which should roughly equate to the 'upload' speed available to clients.

It would be surprising if the outbound/inbound speed of the hosted server is much different, as commercial datacentres are typically connected using multiple redundant high-speed symmetric links.

If there is an obvious difference, then yeah, I'd be taking it up with the provider to find out why - they might be intentionally traffic shaping or doing some other nasty.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Aug-2012 00:00

@mb

Done that yesterday :-) wating for an answer.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Aug-2012 00:00

@all

Buttle neck was with my VPS some other user missused the server and did cut down the bandwith. 

Wo now I upload 67 images in 1 min 10 seconds.

Case closed :-)

Thanks for the feedback and test results.

Markus

This thread is closed