Forum Spam

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:57

Forum Spam

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Aug-2012 00:00

This is getting ridiculous - in the time I read one post, it was pushed off the page by new spam threads.

While I appreciate that you can't stop malicious idiots from doing this, perhaps Telerik needs to look at using a CAPTCHA (or similar) on the registration page, to try and limit bots from signing up and spamming the forums.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Aug-2012 00:00

Hey, MB!

I can assure you they are working hard on this. I noticed the spam during the weekend, shot some tickets and rised the alarm even higher by calling the telerik webteam lead (I am an ex telerik employee). They are always trying to make it right. There was a protection on posting a new thread that served quite well for years and was not adding any overheat to posting a new thread (did you ever needed to put a captcha?) Unfortunatelly this mechanism seems to be outdated now. Maybe they will end up putting a captcha but I assure you they will do their best to allow posting to the foums with no hassle. It is really frustrating but I talked with 3 different people from telerik and they assured me they are on that so it is a question of time for them to get it right. Meanwhile we should bear with them.

Pavel @ eveliko

@Pavel

You can only post if you are registered, so the spam is coming from 'registered' accounts - albeit signed up by bots.

I was suggesting that the place to be implementing strong captcha is on the registration page, not on the forum post pages... similar to the way all free email and forum services use strong captcha during the sign-up process.

Hey, MB!
It all depends on whether the bots came here by chance or are aimed by someone to spam the Sitefinity forums. If someone wants a bot to spam exactly this forum he will definatelly register the bot, put it's credentials and let it work. I saw hundreds of posts by the same user saturday and sunday (didn't go through those from today).

So it depends. You are right anyway that this will add some overheat to the bot owner. Pretty sure Telerik is working on this.

Agreed, a strong captcha on the registration page will make it difficult for bots to self-register, but won't stop people from registering manually and then letting bots loose to make the forum posts.

However, the forum submit pages could then use non-interactive captcha (honey-pots and min-time to post checks) to catch most bots, without annoying real people.

Of course, if someone is really determined to register and manually post spam... well, you can't stop idiots from being idiots.

Hi guys,

We are working on a solution for the Sitefinity forums. We taught it's alright this implementation to wait until the new 5.1 web site lunch, but it seems the spam attack is a massive one this time. Therefore, we'll go ahead and put a short-term solution. 

Thanks everyone for the heads up and the opinions. 

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed