Document titles (255 limit)

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 08:54

Document titles (255 limit)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Aug-2012 00:00

Hi!
Is it possible to increase the number of characters that can be entered in to a document title within the Files & Documents section? Just now its limited to 255 but some titles we have are approx 300 characters. Due to the nature of these forms we can't shorten the titles.
Is it OK to make a change to the database field and if it is, what field needs to be changed to allow for longer Titles?

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Aug-2012 00:00

Hi Owain,

Thank you for using our services.

I verified with our development team and it turns out that such direct change to the database is not recommended and in this case will not work, since after upgrade of the project the old number of symbols per column title will be reset. furthermore, we have some physical database limitations, so such serious change might lead to breaking changes. This would also produce a long url for the document item, since the url is based on the title of the document. I will recommend you to use the Description field to enter all additional information about the item, since its database type is varchar(Max) and you will have no limitation for the length of the record. Another idea, if you would like to display the long title on the front end  (with a Document download widget) would be to create a custom template for the widget, which will dipslay the values  of the Description field for each document, instead of their title. Will this suit your requirement? If so, I would be more than glad to assist you with the modification of the template. Just let me know.

Greetings,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Aug-2012 00:00

Hi Jen,
Thanks for your reply.
The issue we have is its only for 2 or 3 documents which are also being displayed as part of a larger group of documents, so if I changed the template it would effect more documents than I require the change for.
Would it be possible to put an IF statement in to the template so for example, IF the title equals 'long title' then display the description as the title ELSE show the title as the title?

Owain.

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Aug-2012 00:00

Hello Owain,

Yes, this is possible. You can add description to the Download list template and set display:none to it, so that it won't be visible on the front end at first :

<sitefinity:TextField runat="server" DisplayMode="Read" Value='<%# Eval("Description")%>' />

Then subscribe to the ItemDataBound event of the Repeater, which displays the documents and add a conditional statement, where you will set visible false to  the control that displays the title and will remove the display:none style of the textfield control, which displays the description, in the case the title is the long title.

Hope this helps!

Greetings,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed