Has anyone used DotNetNuke before coming to Sitefinity?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:23

Has anyone used DotNetNuke before coming to Sitefinity?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Aug-2012 00:00

We've narrowed down our CMS search to Sitefinity and DotNetNuke and are looking for a little bit of help from users to see what experiences people have had using the different systems. It would be especially great to hear how easy you found development and customization, as well as how your users responded to the managing their content. 

Thanks for your feedback!

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Aug-2012 00:00

Yes...I hate it :)

The UI is butt ugly, it has it's own "Framework" to develop for instead of like SF where you can just use any standard .ascx control.

...anyone else?

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Aug-2012 00:00

Haha, great response Steve! We checked it out before becoming a Sitefinity shop and came to the same conclusion. The UI and all around experience was too aweful for us to seriously consider. The thought that goes into every Sitefinity feature, along with the great support is what sold us.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Aug-2012 00:00

Usability is much better in Sitefinity. It is easy to use and develop for it. At the moment Sitefinity is a bit slow and requires loads of resources which makes it hard to host it in environments where 250MB RAM is the limit. You have to use different technics to keep it responsive and performing fast. But having had a very quick look at DotNetNuke, we ended up going for Sitefinity. The support is probably the best if you have purchased support or your license is still active. The forums are free but you may end up waiting for a while for answers. Telerik though are very serious about Sitefinity and it is getting better and better all the time. Hope it helps.

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Aug-2012 00:00

We come from DNN.

Mostly part to Change is UI.

But i must say. Sitefinity is not well in Quality. Every Version has Bugs which makes Functions nearly unusable. And They do not fix this Bugs fast enough.
We are not happy with this part of Sitefinity. We have bought Version with Support and the answer in open Bug is we will fix it in next Version. This is not OK.

...I agree 100% with TMatt
<They do nit fix this Bugs fast enough>: 700+ open pits issues, and we're still adding new features only really for Pro\Ent users.

<We will fix it in next Version. This is not OK>: It's not, but the alternative is multiple hotfixes and those get frustrating to keep applying.  Ideally we'd actually knock away at the 700 bugs\feature requests.

The Problem is that with every new Version new bugs come.

This is normal in Software Development. But a lot of Bugs are visable if one will Test the Product.By Human and not Unit Tests. I can understand that new Features will be Buggy in V1.

But in V2 we will see the Bugs fixed. First fix the Bugs then bring new Features.
They Need 2 Teams which works at same time. The modern Agile idea here is the biggest Problem. I see this in other Projects too. No Real Bug fix and hundert of New Features.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2012 00:00

Thanks everyone for you comments! Really interesting to hear that they are pretty poor at fixing bugs. We did actually go with Sitefinity and have just started development. There is a little bit of a learning curve but we're chugging along.

Thanks again!

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Oct-2012 00:00

"We have bought Version with Support and the answer in open Bug is we will fix it in next Version. This is not OK."

This wouldn't be all that bad if the bug was actually fixed in the next version. From my personal experience, most of the time, the reported bug will not be fixed in the next version, despite what the Sitefinity team says.

This thread is closed