"You are trying to access item that no longer exists&qu

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:03

"You are trying to access item that no longer exists" error when clicking on Create a User button

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Sep-2012 00:00

I upgraded to 5.1 recently and noticed today when I log into the backend and go to Administration > Users and click on the Create a user button I get an error.

You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.

I'm not sure if this happened as a result of the upgrade to 5.1 or if it was occurring prior to that but I'm fairly sure that I did not delete anything that would have caused this.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

I have no idea what 'Create a user button' is.

However, I've seen this message whenever a content item that is being referenced no longer exists. e.g. An image, document, content-block, etc etc, that is being referenced (typically by a widget) has been deleted and/or replaced (instead of updated) so that the original stored reference fails.

Solution for a widget is normally just to update the widget with the correct location reference.

So when you log in and go to the administration backend, click on "Administration" in the top menu and select "Users" you do not have a button in the top left called "Create a User"? I'm sure you do. How else would someone manually add users?

LOL... I read that as: Create a "User Button"

So I'm thinking... WTF is a "User Button"  and why would you want to create one ?

However, the error message still looks the same - missing resource.

Check out your Sitefinity error log - it will typically record the details of such errors.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Sep-2012 00:00

After upgrading to 5.1 I also got this error when I tried to publish a brand new page. Not sure what is causing it yet. I found an old early v4 post by Gabe Sumner that suggested to clear out the cookies for that error. I tried it and the error went away, but I still have a bit of weirdness in publishing the page in question.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Sep-2012 00:00

I'll give it a try but I don't think it will fix the problem. This happens in both my local development environment and on our QA server.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Sep-2012 00:00

Jeff, Did you make any progress with solving this error? I have it too, after creating a copy of a Sitefinity 4.3 site to use for development.  I copied the file system to a new server and restored a new d/b on a new server from a production d/b.  If I create a new page in the backend and try to publish, I get this error message, and the page is not published; all content is lost.  I noticed that when I copied the file system, a number of required modules were excluded from the VS project, but after including them and rebuilding the project, the error was not corrected.

Yes but you're problem is a little different than mine. I was getting this error when trying to create a new user from the backend user administration page. I created a custom classification then added it to a new user profile type. Then I mistakenly renamed the classification without updating it in the user profile type.

I'm not sure what's causing your issue. Sorry.

Thanks, you're right, different problems.  I've made no changes to content or configurations other than config IP addresses.  I cleared browser cookies, too, but didn't think that had relevance, and had no effect. No log is recorded in SitefinityWebApp>App_Data>Sitefinity>Logs when this error occurs either.  One more clue to anyone else reading: the new page that throws this error when the publish button is clicked, cannot be deleted either, throwing the same error.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-May-2013 00:00

I know this is an old post but I want to point out that I had a similar issue and the following url provided the solution:

www.sitefinity.com/.../publishing-and-uploading-image-problems----solution

May be this will come in handy for the next one reaching this page troubleshooting this issue.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2013 00:00

Thank you Juan. I was running an import locally, knew about this setting, but had no idea it was the cause of why my images would no longer save - was blowing up on WorkflowManager.MessageWorkflow(imageId, typeof(Image), null, "Publish", false, bag);

removed live site, put in localhost and it imported.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jun-2014 00:00

Hello ,I have uploaded my new sitefinity from my local to my server but when i tried to login  but its just showing errorServer Error in '/' Application.You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: Telerik.Sitefinity.SitefinityExceptions.ItemNotFoundException: You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. I am new to sitefinity every thing is working fine on my local but while on server its creating the issue please provide the solution ASAP i am working on sitefinity 7.0

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Aug-2014 00:00

We're facing same issue. Does any one have an idea about this. How can we solve this ?

Regards,
Qainan Idris.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Aug-2014 00:00

Hello Hamza,

Can you please try to delete the browser's cookies and let me know about the result. You can also try to restart the application pool and browse the project again.

If the issue persists, can you please let me know some details about when the issue started appearing and what are the exact steps you take to reproduce the issue.

In addition, can you please delete the error logs under the ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Logs folder and then please try to reproduce the issue again and if possible send the the files generated under the above mentioned folder. This might give us additional information on what causes the issue in your case.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jan-2015 00:00

Check the following settings:  Administration --> Settings --> Advanced --> System -- ServicePaths.  Make sure this setting has your website URL: www.somesite.com  

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Mar-2015 00:00

This could be totally unrelated to everyone else's problem but I also got a similar message while testing just now.  After a bunch of Googling and Forums reading, I double checked my connection string and found that I had a slight error in my database name.  So it appears you could see this issue if the app simply can't find pages in the database because, like I did, the connection string is hosed.  

My_Database_7_date  <--should have been

My_Database7_date <--was

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jun-2016 00:00

Hi Corby,

Thanks for the info. But in your case was the database having the name as My_Database7_date or My_Database_7_date? Was it a manual configuration issue or something to be looked at when the database name is alphanumeric?

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Oct-2017 00:00

Hi,

I'm facing "Application firewall error" when ever I'll try to edit in content block ( Particularly Image tag of image slider) of sitefinity CMS, can I know what may the issue for this?

This thread is closed