Suggested Improvement on Handling Multiple URLs when using p

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:07

Suggested Improvement on Handling Multiple URLs when using permissions

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Sep-2012 00:00

I would put this under the suggestions discussion, but it appears posting there is not enabled.

I would propose additional checks be put into place when moving items between libraries to warn a user of permission conflicts when going from a library that has custom permissions to another library that has a different set of permissions. 

I recently ran into a scenario with a client in which they were having trouble viewing pdf documents they were linking.  I was quickly able to determine that the issue was because the files were dropped into a library that we had set permissions on for use with an intranet that we developed.

I informed the client the easiest solution would be to move the documents they wanted to be public domain to the default library.

The client still was unable to view the files and what I then determined was while they did indeed move the files correctly to the default library (default permissions where everyone can view) that multiple URL's was enabled as that is the default behavior when moving items in Sitefinity.   So in essence the file that was now sitting in a folder with permissions for everyone to view was still inheriting restricted permissions because it had an alternate url that it could be accessed by.  Simply disabling this alternate URL solves the issue, but I do not believe most end users would have an easy time figuring this out on their own.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Sep-2012 00:00

It appears there is an actual bug from this.  While I was able to get the files do show up they will throw an error about not having permission to view them when a user tries to open them.  Viewing permissions on the file itself shows that it still is inheriting permissions from its previous parent library (which it is no longer associated with).  Clicking the "Break Inheritance" button throws a return code 0 error.

The only way I was able to fix this was to delete the files and re-upload them so they would gain the correct inheritance for the library.

This thread is closed